It's war this time

My first year at Louisiana Tech I would hunt squirrels early in the morning, clean them at the dumpster outside the dorm, wash them in my dorm sink and put them in a paper bag. On my way NOT to class I would drop them off at the cafeteria and the sweet ladies there would fry them for me and make biscuits and gravy to boot. Of course it was perfectly alright to keep my shotgun in my dorm room as well. My how times have changed...

Those were Grey Squirrels. The big fox squirrels we have around here are pretty tough and require more cooking and stronger teeth than I have these days.

Alan
I grew up in East Texas the son of a sharecropper ... Squirrel was a staple in the house in my early years... mom usually made a dumpling dish with them.
After I got old enough to keep up with Dad and the dogs I hunted with him, my job was to carry the axe and any squirrels we took.... if we treed one and couldn't shoot it down, Dad cut the tree down. We had an old Black and Tan hound that would hunt squirrels in the daytime and raccoons at night... occasionally he would take off after a rabbit, but Dad broke him of that by tying a dead rabbit around his neck for a couple of days...

I grew up in Morgan City Louisiana (way South LA). I hunted squirrels all winter in the swamps. There were days when I would not step on dry ground for 8 hours. All I had to do to keep dry was not get in water over the tops of the hip boots, and not lose my balance (which did occur on occasion).

Grey squirrels and those big swamp rabbits graced our table at least once a week during the season.

Alan

So I got the Hatsan fully pumped up tonight. I'm still waiting on some scope risers, but was able to do a couple of test shots into the bullet trap, the decibels were at 90 db.

I also got the arrow bow upper today.
2021-02-01 10.55.11.jpg

I had to remove the nocks (where the string sits) off the back end of the arrows, which are 20" arrows. These slide over the "barrel", which has a somewhat larger hole at the base of the barrel for the arrow to push into, there appears to be an o-ring in it to hold the arrow and seal the end.
2021-02-01 15.53.52.jpg 2021-02-01 15.53.57.jpg 2021-02-01 16.13.45.jpg

There is storage on each side for extra arrows with tip guards on them.
2021-02-01 15.55.24.jpg

It comes with some flip up sights, which have night-sights built in for low light aiming.
2021-02-01 15.58.25.jpg

I've got some bales to stack up, but may pickup a archery bag target to use in addition.

Well, to get somewhat back on original topic. The claims adjuster called, said drop it off at the dealer, it will get fixed. He said they get several dozen claims like this every time it starts to get cold out. I went out to the shop to move some tools out of my truck, went ahead and marked the spots I found damaged with blue masking tape, but ended up finding 3 other places they damaged also. I haven't even gotten underneath the truck to see if there is any down there. I have the feeling they will just replace the engine harness. They may patch a couple that go through the firewall though, but who knows, they may pull the cab apart too since insurance is involved. :dunno:

Well, to get somewhat back on original topic. The claims adjuster called, said drop it off at the dealer, it will get fixed. He said they get several dozen claims like this every time it starts to get cold out. I went out to the shop to move some tools out of my truck, went ahead and marked the spots I found damaged with blue masking tape, but ended up finding 3 other places they damaged also. I haven't even gotten underneath the truck to see if there is any down there. I have the feeling they will just replace the engine harness. They may patch a couple that go through the firewall though, but who knows, they may pull the cab apart too since insurance is involved. :dunno:
Make sure they check the rubber brake lines, vacuum hoses, etc. They're rodent favorites, too.

Well, dropped the truck off at the dealer this afternoon, will let them do their thing. Sounds like they get them in often and they think that it is due to the soy coating on the wires. Said they'll probably wrap things up with "mouse tape" to try and keep them out in the future. I'll continue to pick off the population and park inside going forward. :)

Insurance was a bit slow getting the shop the approval to start. Looking at another week as they had to order parts. The estimate came in at a little over $2300. :eek:

I think it's either too cold here or the squirrels have decided my property is a bad neighborhood, with all the shooting going on, I've not seen one in days now.