Japanese inspired cherry soup bowl

I love that style. Nicely done. You are really putting me in the lathe mood.. I have a project going that I need to make some pulleys for.. Haven't done much on my lathe for a few year, so it is going to be a challenge for me.

Can I ask what you did on the bottom of this one?

On all Japanese bowls the foot is hollowed. On this bowl there is approximately 1/4" of wood between the hollowed foot and the bottom of the bowl. Japanese bowls are meant to be taken in hand and used by raking food into the mouth with chopsticks and drinking liquid by bringing the bowl to the mouth. The picture that follows shows how the bowl is to be held.

K1903010b_1024x1024.jpg

Thanks Mike, told me all I was wondering about it (or at least all I knew I didn't know :cool:).

As an aside, I've never heard of cherry soup, but I'll bet it's tasty. :)
There is (or was) a restaurant in Portland that had Cherry Vareniki which are basically little dumpling like things.. they used sour cherries slightly dried and had a savory cream sauce over it.. A++ would recommend. And yeah, I know it's not soup :D We've also used dried tart cherries in various stews and similar and those are quite good indeed.