Joining the Navy

Not me but Lucas. They don't take old broken down has beens.:) He's talked about joining the military since middle school. He got in a tool and die apprenticeship right out of high school and really liked it, but I guess the desire never left. He came in one day in late February and told me he was going to talk to the Navy recruiter. Then covid hit and everything as you know went on lockdown. After being able to go back and taking a few tests he has qualified for the nuke field. He's supposed to leave in November. It's a great opportunity for him, but man I'll miss him!

A large chunk of the facilities folks (think managing huge automated plant water/power/cooling/building automation not general maintenance) folks at work are ex nuke. They're all a pretty good bunch of folks. Hopefully it's still the same.

well give him my congrats. from an academic point of view the Navy Nuclear program is the hardest school the service has and it is a lot of work but if he finishes he will have accomplished a lot and have a bright future even if he decides to get out of the Navy. It is a 6 year commitment since the school is so long.

Congrats to him. Great decision. I, as a young man went into the service, one of the first in my family... one of my best decisions I made in my life... I never regretted it. Hope he feels the same...My son served 22 years in the Navy... he never regretted it either...

Back when I got out of high school was still subject to the draft and drafting was pretty vigorous... so I had a choice, join or be drafted... I chose to enlist but wasn't sure which branch... Navy knocked on my front door (Small town and someone told him I had been looking at brochures at the post office)... so I was recruited out of my living room and never looked back... was a great experience... even considered making it a career... chose to get out to go to college instead... but didn't get into college for 2 years after I got out.... Proud of my service and I thank Lucas for his.