Just an interesting Leather Video

Cool video, and it's nice to see how he does some of the processes. I have a knife I made a couple of years ago that's still in need of a sheath. I have all the materials and a plan in mind, but the stitching part has been holding me back. It's going to be a lot of work punching (or perhaps drilling) all the holes.

Man that guy has all of the cool toys! Bell skiver, walking foot sewing machine..

His use of that thin double sided tape for pre-stitch tacking on the small parts is an ideal I'm 100% stealing though! Looking around I believe he's using the Tandy "Tanner's Bond Adhesive Tape" but there are a bunch of alternatives out there.

Yesterday I learn about "Masking Fluid" for painting (I have some.. ideas... we'll see) and today "Leather tape" whoo banner week for cool new ideas!

I've seen the ones for flat lace but I didn't realize they made these for regular stitching. Those look nice and affordable, too. :thumb:

They're apparently a new thing.

We had some "pricking irons" when I was a kid, but they weren't for poking the holes all the way through but just marked them for an awl later. We also had some hole markers made from old clock gears, etc.. but the "pubches all the way through" is a new thing. The weaver videos show how they're used pretty well. I think an awl probably still does a slightly tidier jobs.. but I bought a set of three sizes of these not to long ago and am pretty happy about it :)

Handmade leather embroidery is very popular. I also follow the developments closely. I think those who are considering a venture should take note of this. :)

Cool video, and it's nice to see how he does some of the processes. I have a knife I made a couple of years ago that's still in need of a sheath. I have all the materials and a plan in mind, but the stitching part has been holding me back. It's going to be a lot of work punching (or perhaps drilling) all the holes.
These folks are great to deal with and do a lot of videos. This one might help ya Vaughn.

he knife sheath is still on the "someday" list. That project is becoming my "Brent's dining table"

My advice is that leather is relatively cheap and even the nicer thread ditto by the yard, so just get one done.. and figure on throwing away a couple tries as you remake them. This is definitely a "practice makes slightly less terrible" sort of activity :D

Really nice work. Interesting to see someone using transfer tape in a video. Comes in handy around the shop for positioning small details and delicate trim. Also great for affixing abrasive film to slips for unusual shaped cutter sharpening.