Just Crazy Thinking

Leo Voisine

I just made a spreadsheet.
No not first rodeo - I have made a lot of spreadsheets since Lotus 123

No - this one is for me to collect all the links I want to get back to some day.

I can categorize by source and I can the cool stuff I want to be sure to remember

Saved on the NAS with a link on the desktop

So easy - just copy the URL and paste it on the spreadsheet.

I've taken to using google sheets for most things anymore. Makes it handy to be able to get to from any device and sharing with others is super simple.

I've used a doc for similar purposes.... and also browser bookmarks... and I still have some old simple html web pages haha.

Where it starts to fall apart for me is organizationally and maintaining some sort of "viability check" of the resource.

When I exported my bookmarks for backups circa 1999 I had somewhere around 2000 of them in a half dozen main categories with a lot of sub categories. About half of the web pages had already gone to the great webserver in the sky. And the categories of many of them were..not as well thought out as they seemed at the time. The stale pages problem is slightly "solved" by the availability of at least getting a lot of thing through archive.org's wayback machine (huge resource!)

Which is a long winded way of wondering if you have added any mechanisms for trying to organize things to this or any suggestions in that regard.

Right now I have ONE link there
It a thread from Vectric user forum that I wanted to remember

With Excel there are tons of ways to sort and organize

I think it's nice because it's ALL IN ONE place.

Youtube stuff
Forum specific threads - like the favorite youtube list on Family
News
All sorts of places online

If it's dead - just delete the row - or column, depending on how you set it up.

It's all in one place - safe on my network drive.

Excel is an extremely powerful tool. Year ago I set up and entire quotation system using different scrips. You can set up drop down boxes any number of things. Presently I use it to track my entire client list their birthdays, what insurance plan they have, their member Id's etc. I can get the same information by logging onto each companies web sites but this way I can have one place to look up there info. I use it for doing mailing and all I have to do is update it one place and it up dates each other pages. It will even generate reports for me as to income by insurance carriers.

I use Open Office (It;s free) that works like Excell and also has a text and data base built in... it works pretty well and I use the spreadsheets to track a lot of the things I track, sales, inventory, etc... I used Excell when I was at Santini to track a lot of my work info.... before that when I was with Restricted Articles Management I use Lotus 123 which I liked better then Excell..... I wrote our whole tariff in Lotus, including rules and regulations, company policies, etc... I had one master page where I could ad my costs from the airlines, steamship lines and trucking lines, I could change cost to one destination and the program would alter my rate across all the pages to that destination - saved me having to go through about 100 pages to change destination charges to each destination and precluded making a typo or math error someplace.

Open office has most of the function of Excell, but some are in different places in Open Office.... don't think it has the macro function Excell has, but I never learned to use the macro function anyway. Lotus had a couple of functions that I never found in Excell.... it's all moot now, I use the simplest functions that I need now and have forgotten most of what I knew a little about.... retired and don't need all that knowledge cluttering up my brain cells, what few are left.

Microsoft Office is available to workers in companies that use Office for $9.99 for home use. FULL VERSION - powerpoint, word, excel, access, outlook

HUP - look into it.

You buy it - you own it

That is what I have.