Keeping it Keto - Biscuits

Don Baer

Staff member
since starting the Keto diet not quit 4 weeks ago I lost 25 lbs. Part of the process is keeping the carbs low yet maintaining a proper ratio of Fats to Protein. I have no problem keeping the carbs down and typically will only eat between 12-19 net carbs per day according to my Carb Manager app but I find it difficult to keep the Fat to protein ratio where it need to be for some reason the proteins always try to overshadow the fats and I am lucky to get 70% fats. In my quest I discovered that dairy is a good source of fats and cream cheese the whipped kind is only 1 carb. per table spoon. Now I love a good bagel with cream cheese but you typical bagel run about 50 carbs which is 2 1/2 time my daily allowance in one serving. I have been playing with biscuits made with almod flour as a substitute and finally was able to come up with this recipe.
2 X-large eggs (it what I had on hand)
1 Cup almond milk
2 cups almond flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt

Mix wet ingredients for then blend in the dry ingredients. Add a little almond flour if need until dough is sticky
Place on baking sheet with parchment paper I used an Ice cream scoop to portion.

Bake at 350 for 20 minute

0715191006.jpg

each biscuit is 1-2 net carbs depending on size.

0715191009.jpg
my breakfast slice of deli ham slice of Montery Jack cheese, 1 biscuit with whipped Philly jack cheese
5 total carbs 2 fiber net carbs 3g
31 G fat (75%)
20 g protein (21.1%)
total calories 371.

now to come up with a low carbs sausage gravy recipe.

A coworker posted this one last week, has a biscuit and it has a gravy recipe...

[FONT=&quot]Low carb BISCUITS AND GRAVY[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Biscuits:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 1/2 cup blanched almond flour[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 tbsp baking powder[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/4 tsp minced garlic[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/4 tsp onion powder[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/4 tsp salt[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 large eggs[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/2 cup sour cream[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4 tbsp butter melted[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Preheat oven to 450°F. Spray the cups of a 12 cup muffin tin pa. With cooking spray.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In a bowl, mix together the almond flour, baking powder, garlic, onion powder, and salt.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, sour cream, and melted butter. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir with a spoon until combined. Add the shredded cheese and mix until combined.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Spoon the batter equally among the cups of the muffin pan. Bake for 10 to 13 minutes until the tops start to brown.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Info per serving: biscuits only[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Makes 12 servings[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Calories: 164[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fat 14.6g[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Protein: 5.8g[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Carbs: 4.5g[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fiber: 1.5g[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Net carbs: 3g

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Sausage gravy:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 pound of pork sausage[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3 ounces cream cheese[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 cup heavy whipping cream[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Salt[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Black pepper[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8 low carb biscuits[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In a large Skillet, cook the sausage meat over medium heat, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until browned. Don't drain the fat. Add the cream cheese and stir until the mixture is combined and the cream cheese is melted. Stir in the cream and bring to a simmer. Taste of sausage gravy and seasoned with salt and pepper if needed.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cut each biscuit in half and place on plates. Top with the sausage gravy and chopped chives if using and serve.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The original recipe called for xantham gum. I did not use that as the gravy was already thick enough.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Total 8 servings gravy only[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Per serving:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Calories: 318[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Net carbs: 3g[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Protein: 11g[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fat: 29g[/FONT]

I found the same recipe for gravy I just need to make it...The basic biscuit recipe I use can be enhanced by adding grated cheese, chives garlic what ever. In the past I have't use d the almond milk but the biscuits came out a bit flufier this time. I need to pick up some cocumut flower and Zantan Gum since I want to figure out tortilla next.

I need to pick up some cocumut flower and Zantan Gum since I want to figure out tortilla next.

See if your local grocery store has the Mama Lupe brand low carb tortillas. All of them carry them here and are just like flour tortillas and 3 carbs each (about 7" diameter). There are other brands also, but those are the lowest carb wise I've found.

Target carries them, but would have to check your local store: https://www.target.com/p/mama-lupes-low-carb-fresh-tortillas-10ct/-/A-51423077

Looks like Fry's has these, but 5 net carbs... https://www.frysfood.com/p/la-banderita-low-carb-soft-tortillas/0002733100023