Kitchen Knives

Ryan, yes I am a bit over on the 52100. I have never used a 52100 knife.

Glenn - I use my Henckles Santoku knife every day. Certainly my GOTO knife. I have 3 of them on different sizes. I also have several other Henckles knives that get used less often. If I an cutting onions or tomatoes of fresh peppers I sharpen my Sanyoku before I use it, otherwise I sharpen every other use or so.

My new VG10 knife will come in tomorrow. I don't have any FRESH tomatoes which is the top level test, but I can cut up some really thin onions and I gan see how it cuts thru onion skin. My Santoku does those with ease after I sharpen them.

I haven't had a decent knife here at the farm. I picked a chefs knife at walmart. It hardly cut through tomato skins. I used the back of another knife as a steel for a few swipes and it's been slicing really well since. I may have to try the coffee cup @Ryan Mooney

and then there is this old Favorite. It was my Father-In-Laws go to knife and since he was a surgeon he knew a little about cutting tools....lol. My wife swore it never needed sharpening and it does hold an edge pretty good. On the handle it says "OLD TIMER" now I know they been around a long time but are best known for their pocket knives but I guess they do make some carving knifes. I like it more for the sentiments behind it but it works as good as my Spanish made Henckels.

20221213_145700.jpg

Last edited:
I've also used .. old bricks (rub them on some concrete wet to work up a slurry) and various rocks from the garden to sharpen knives :cool:

Some of the harder mudstones and shale actually make really nice sharpening stones especially with water..

Those old-timer knives were decent. I remember a butcher knife very much like that one...

When I saw the picture of that Old Timer butcher knife it rang a bell but the tone was flat for me. I have never seen an Old Timer kitchen knife. Obviously they exist but I haven't seen one.

I grew up in a family that used Old Hickory knives that looked very much like the Old Timer pictured. My mom had a couple of butcher knives. a couple of paring knives and a slicing knife. My dad loved that slicer for cutting up country ham. One of Mom's butcher knives was gigantic. I think the blade must have been 12" long, maybe more. That was our "watermelon" knife. My grandfather grew watermelons and during the summer we ate at least one or two watermelons per week so that knife got a lot of use.

Those Old Hickory knives were carbon steel. They were easy to sharpen to razor edges. But they would rust in a New York minute. You had to dry them after washing and it was a good idea to wipe the blade down with some vegetable oil. Mom loved her knives but she never used that slicing knife; it was Dad's knife.

1670984991534.png

Last edited:
Had that Old Hickory set years ago. Don't know what happened to the larger knives but the small paring knife is the wifes favorite knife. Don't mess with that one. No knife --no cooking.
David

My new knife came in yesterday.

Side by side with my Henckles - they are not even in the same ballpark.

WOW - the new guy is lightyears ahead.
Shaved my arm right out of the box.
Even the way it is packaged just shines!!

The quality is easily apparent - IT CAN CUT!!!
WOW - does it ever cut - WOW

Now I need a smaller Santoku made the same way - the same brand.

NICE to KNOW

Bodark is an American company.

I did not go out to look for an American company. I was looking for what I considered to be a great knife to suit my wants and desires. It turned out to be American. Sure it's made with Japanese Steel but it is an American product.

I am super impressed.

GOOD for you and American ingenuity.

It was the product - not the price - nothing else but the produce.
THAT is what it's all about.

I have a Bodark Santoku already picked out, but I need to wait a month or three before I buy it.
Now I feel even better because it's made in the USA