Knife #12- A knife for me....

Mike Stafford

I guess all of the knives were for me but this one I am keeping and adding to my collection. It is the culmination of my experiments into knife making using saw blades. In some respects this was the hardest knife to make because of the finger grooves in the full tang. It fits my hand very well and is comfortable to use.

This knife finished up at 8 1/2" and except for some discoloration that occurred in the epoxy around the center brass pin in the handle it is a knife I am quite proud of. Not sure what happened with the epoxy; must have left some kind of residue in the hole in the steel and when the brass pin was put in place the residue was carried through with the epoxy. The bevel grinds are about as even as I can do without some sort of fixture. I did improve on my grinding skills as I went along.

Handle is birdseye maple.

IMG_7296 mod.jpg

Thank you for indulging my knife making posts. I enjoyed the process and learned a lot about this craft although I am not really forging steel like a true blacksmith. My knives are useable and seem to keep their edge quite well so maybe my heat treatment actually worked.

I truly enjoy seeing your craftsmanship. Thanks for sharing. You probably mentioned this in your original post but were you using circular blade or hand saw blades for material.
I am using old, before carbide, circular saw blades that I had stacked up in a dusty corner of my shop. I never knew why I kept them until I stumbled upon some YouTube videos showing how they could be converted into knives.

I may make some more knives but right now I am taking a hiatus. I have satisfied my bucket list desire to make a knife from scratch.

Thanks to everyone for your comments.