Kudos to Darren!

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
As you all have likely noticed by now, the forum has a new look and feel. This is because "we" switched the forum software from vBulletin to XenForo. This was done for a variety of reasons, but primarily because the makers of some of the server software that is required to run our forum are no longer doing updates on the older version of the server software (as of December 1st) and our vBulletin software will not run on the new server software. Continuing to run vBulletin under these conditions would have been a security risk to our members that we were not willing to take.

The reason I put "we" in quotes above is because even though our Admin team is made up of three individuals, Darren Wright did 99.99% of the heavy lifting needed to upgrade the forum software. This included identifying the security issue in the first place, researching new replacement software, installing a test version and setting it up for the forum staff (Admins and Mods) to test. Once the testing was done, Darren then dealt with purchasing the new software, installing it, redirecting the URL to point to the new forum, and the herculean task of moving all of the old content into the new forum (as well as fixing whatever broke in the process). I'm sure there were many other steps along the way that I've either forgotten about, or simply didn't know about because Darren was simply "handling it".

We all owe many, many thanks to Darren for all of his diligence and hard work in making this transition as painless as possible for the forum members and staff. Without his unending efforts, I don't think any of this could have been done. Please join me in tipping my hat to Darren and sending him a heartfelt THANK YOU! :clap: :bow:

Thank you all! You make it a pleasure to spend time on the forum. We appreciate the generosity of those that donated to afford the upgrade.
I still have several things on my punch list to address, but so far the upgrade has been pretty painless on our side. :wave:

(y)(y)(y):cool:

Well done indeed! I've been on both other sides of a number of vaguely similar migrations so can speak with some authority that its a lot of work, attention to detail, and when it goes smoothly like this you KNOW there was someone in the back doing all the hard work to make it seamless for the rest of us. The number of times that there were MAJOR issues is .. relatively high.. so the fact that this all went as smoothly as it did speaks volumes. Well done indeed!