Labor Saving Devices

Dave Richards

Yesterday I modeled this bench after on made in Sweden in the 1940's by Nordiska Kompaniet. I was thinking I'd share a thing that you other SketchUp users might find useful. All of the mortises, grooves, and other holes were cut automatically using the Trim tool in Bool Tools 2. This is an extension that adds Boolean operations to Sketchup. It's similar to the Solid Tools in SketchUp Pro but it's also different. It respects the component features and it works in SketchUp Make. While it is not free, the cost ($20) is fairly minimal. Especially if you consider the time it can save you. This isn't meant as an advertisement and I certainly don't get anything out of it. Just thought someone might find it helpful.

With Bool Tools 2 you can use one part to cut the other. So not only can you cut the mortises but also the notches in the legs for the seat planks and the holes for the wedges. You could cut holes for pegs, use tails to cut pins, biscuits to cut slots, and many other jobs.

I had installed it a while ago, but just got the license. Wish I would have started using it a long time ago.
Already paid off by using it to make this little outlet box I'm going to mount on a microphone stand.

Made a tube the same size of the mic stand pole, and used it to create the hole in the box.

Way easier.

outlet box.PNG

Does your printer have a moving bed? Imagine what you could do if you could just make the bed travel through the printer and it had 10 feet of travel!

thanks dave for the show last night and loo forward to any future showings. i can see where that tool extension is worth the change, but for butt joints like i use the few times i use a rabbit joint wouldnt be cost effective but the flip flop extension sure would be:)

Larry, thanks for joining us last night.

Understood on the butt joints. You might branch out one day and use half-laps or bridle joints. :D

As for the "flip flop" thing, that's native. No need to look for an extension. Just right click on the object.

Does your printer have a moving bed? Imagine what you could do if you could just make the bed travel through the printer and it had 10 feet of travel!
There are some huge printers out there! Mine only has 350mmx350mmx400mm capacity though. Would make a good model of a bench!