Lacewood Scherk

Mike Stafford

I wrote an article on how I turned a Scherk tower. A Scherk is mathematically described form which in the most simple terms is where two planes intersect by means of tunnels. It was first described by mathematician Heinrich Scherk.

Mike Foster was the first turner to create a Scherk Tower and he graciously helped me in understanding how to turn my own Scherk Tower via e-mail and phone conversations.

My article was just published in Woodturning magazine from England.

I have attached a PDF of the article.

Attachments

• WT377_Lacewood Scherk.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 49
Very clear and nice article, love the outcome.

I can see several ways to skin this cat but the advantages of a lot of what you did became fairly apparent through the article.

At the beginning I was wondering if the top/bottom were also turned (partially) which would have been.. perhaps overly exciting (and would introduce some new workholding challenges). Theoretically possible but almost certainly not worth it heh.

I'd also like to state for the record that the burl version is my favorite (which should in no way be construed to cast aspersions on the lacewood version which is fabulous).

Very clear and nice article, love the outcome.

I can see several ways to skin this cat but the advantages of a lot of what you did became fairly apparent through the article.

At the beginning I was wondering if the top/bottom were also turned (partially) which would have been.. perhaps overly exciting (and would introduce some new workholding challenges). Theoretically possible but almost certainly not worth it heh.

I'd also like to state for the record that the burl version is my favorite (which should in no way be construed to cast aspersions on the lacewood version which is fabulous).
Ryan, Mike Foster turns the top and the bottom of his Scherks. For lacewood Scherk I thought discretion was the better part of valor as I was a chicken when it came to turning air half the time. I did not want to make a mess of all my hard work right at the end of the process. My second Scherk, the one in big leaf maple burl was turned on the ends as I had a little more experience under my belt. Besides the big leaf maple turned easier than the lacewood which tended to be a little splintery.

I appreciate everyone's comments. Thank you.

Great Work Mike, and a well presented article which in itself not an insignificant 'Tour de Force' to meet the Mag's. requirements.
Thank you Chas.

I hope you are able to check out next month's issue (#378) which contains an article I wrote about constructing and turning layered bowls. You are mentioned and credited with putting me onto Cascamite which I am using now for all my layered bowl constructions. I have been using that glue for a while and it has not produced the first glue creep bump. Thanks for the suggestion.
Merry Christmas!

Great piece, and excellent article. :clap: And Mike Foster is a beast. :thumb: I get headaches just trying to figure out how he makes the stuff he does.
Mike Foster is one of the most creative turners out there. His spatial visualization abilities are truly amazing. As wonderful as his visualizing skills are his ability to turn that into a three dimensional object is even more amazing.

I cannot express enough how grateful I am to Mike for his time and assistance when I was trying to learn how to turn a Scherk tower.

Thank you Chas.
I hope you are able to check out next month's issue (#378) which contains an article I wrote about constructing and turning layered bowls.

Will endeavour to get hold of a copy, only buy the occasional copy if I get to somewhere that stocks it these days. Had it on auto. subscription for 17 yrs. or so but discontinued it last year during a rationalisation of subscriptions.

That is unbelievable!! I cannot imagine doing that on a lathe. Beautiful! Do you mind if I share the article? I have a friend that is a great turner, does all kinds of neat turning. I would love to send your article to him.

That is unbelievable!! I cannot imagine doing that on a lathe. Beautiful! Do you mind if I share the article? I have a friend that is a great turner, does all kinds of neat turning. I would love to send your article to him.
I have no problem with the article being shared. I guess putting it in a magazine sort of puts it in the public domain. The only caveat I have is to tell him to be careful. This is a very dangerous project due to the mounting. I don't want people to get hurt.

Thank you for your comment.