Lacewood skinner

Frank, I am cutting and shaping my knives from old saw blades. All I do is heat treat them after I get the shape I want. Then I clean up and polish the steel to remove the forge scale/discoloration. After that I grind the bevels, sharpen and handle the blades.
OK. Good. I once had an old sawmill blade I planned make into knives. But, when I tried to cut it my hacksaws (regular and diamond) wouldn't do any more than just make a tiny shiny spot. I found a shot with a water jet cutter but he wanted as much per blade as I had hoped to sell finished knives for. I finally the blade to a friend.

OK. Good. I once had an old sawmill blade I planned make into knives. But, when I tried to cut it my hacksaws (regular and diamond) wouldn't do any more than just make a tiny shiny spot. I found a shot with a water jet cutter but he wanted as much per blade as I had hoped to sell finished knives for. I finally the blade to a friend.
I am cutting the blades out with a cutoff wheel mounted in my 4 1/2" grinder. I remove as much steel as I can with the cutoff disc and then I mount the grinder in a fixture I made that holds the disc vertical so I can nibble away metal down to my pattern lines. This allow for very precise stock removal.

IMG_8964.JPG