Live Edge Finish/ Warm look

Dale Wallace

I don’t know if anyone has done that and how effective it would be but I have a couple of maple live edge pieces which I want to follow a certain technique in order to achieve a very warm color. Either by using any oil or finish by itself or apply any these combinations to add an extra layer of protection but also achieve the warmest color posibble, plus bring out a lot of the grain. My concern is which would be best without creating any issues on the wood in the future. I already tried applying waterlox over polyshades pecan and just 2 layers of waterlox by itself. Which I'm including pictures so that you get an idea. Any advices are welcome! Thank you
So these are my ideas :
Shellac over Polyshades Minxax Pecan OR Water Based General Finishes Pecan
Waterlox layers over Polyshades Minwax Pecan OR Water Based General Finishes Pecan
Odie’s oil over Polyshades Minxax Pecan OR Water Based General Finishes Pecan
I’m also including a picture of one of the slabs

Attachments

• 20200225_120822-01-01.jpeg
    20200225_120822-01-01.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200225_120623.jpg
    20200225_120623.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200212_092038-02.jpeg
    20200212_092038-02.jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
my experience with poly shades isnt good. they tried to get stain and top in one application and it isnt the best way to finish a piece i suggest you use general finishes stain for your project

my experience with poly shades isnt good. they tried to get stain and top in one application and it isnt the best way to finish a piece i suggest you use general finishes stain for your project
I agree. I've not had any good experiences with Polyshades. It's probably been 25 years since I last used it, though. In fact, I didn't realize they were still selling it. Larry's recommendation for General Finishes stains is good. Another good on is Old Masters.

Howdy Dale! :wave:

Ditto on the Polyshades. The only one I've had any luck with at all was the black tinted one. (I wanted a quick black finish that showed a hint of grain.) The other shades I've used were next to impossible to get an even covering that didn't show brush (or wiping) marks.

Great!! I can't thank you enough! I wouldn't expect so many answers. I'm gonna use the general finishes stain and share the results. Should it be water or oil based when combined with waterlox ? Do you think I should mix them or just apply stain and then the waterlox over it ? If mixing them, in what ratio would it be ?

Last edited:
Dale, I have nothing for you on the original questions as the folks answering are experts. But I did want to welcome you to this Family and hope to continue seeing you stop by and eventually show some pictures of this as it progresses and gets completed! :wave:

Thank you all for your warm welcoming!! I'm definitely going to be posting more, comment and share some pictures of my projects with everyone. I appreciate your advices and your willingness to help!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk