Living room suite in QSWO

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
The media cabinet in ash and walnut is winding down, just putting on the last few coats of varnish. So, it's time to get rolling on the next project in the schedule, a set of tables and an entertainment center for a customer in Indiana. The tables will come first then I'll take a few weeks to work on another project and comeback to the entertainment center. QSWO throughout.

I'll begin with the 12 legs for the 3 tables. All will have the same construction - built up with three layers utilizing the center layer to form the through tenons and then covering the edge grain with a 1/8" veneer so all four sides will show the quarter sawn grain. I'll try to be a little more diligent about posting updates. 🥴

Coffee Table.jpg

End Tables.jpg

Ent Center.jpg

Leg Constr.jpg

going to be a busy guy! no through tenons for the top of the entertainment center? it's the symmetrist in me that asks....
My impression from looking at a lot of A&C stuff is that the through tenons were not often used for aprons, just stretchers. But! If the customer so desires then that is certainly an option.

Got some work done on the legs. Everything gets mailed flat and square and slightly oversized to allow for fine tuning later. I cut the middle section (center to exact length, ends a bit long) and use spacers to get them positioned. Once the cores are glued up I glue on the veneers having first marked the positions of the mortises

The veneers are trimmed using a flush trim bit. Then I open up the mortises with a 3/8” forstner and the a 1/4” upcut spiral flush trim. A little clean up with a chisel and we’re ready to go.

63AE1A88-542C-4E02-ACD8-8715AA194184.jpeg

04D2CA66-FDFF-43B8-9394-E2788A4CB6DA.jpeg

8F223D77-9CAE-4067-BE0C-3BE4AC517E05.jpeg

5D3ABC49-D122-4DA7-AAB0-D4FD51BF6B8D.jpeg

3F4CFE89-D829-41EC-9D49-FAAB34F51E68.jpeg

Those are a lot of pieces, and a lot of work done and a lot still to do Rennie! But they look great from the very first sketch. I can't wait to see it finished.!

Yeah baby! I know you've been through it before but, a recap of the finishing steps would be great.

Last edited: