Loft Closure

Bummer. I was really liking those "minimalist" ceiling fixtures you've got going on there. :D
Ha! Thanks! They still hanging, electrician hasn't made it by yet, hopefully tomorrow.

Now thats hilarious Ted. I am going to bank that and save it for a rainy day.

You a machine Darren.
Thanks, but shut the machine down tonight, I'm beat. :thud:

I came across my contractors FB page and found a bunch of in-progress pics I didn't have of the demo and beam installation I thought were interesting.

Demo Day
FB_IMG_1520471679029.jpg FB_IMG_1520471719888.jpg FB_IMG_1520471737105.jpg

No cripple studs under the old beam
FB_IMG_1520471827270.jpg FB_IMG_1520471904080.jpg

Beam Installation Day
FB_IMG_1520471893513.jpg FB_IMG_1520471882825.jpg FB_IMG_1520471917788.jpg

Beam, new joists, and loft closed.
FB_IMG_1520472023102.jpg FB_IMG_1520472015884.jpg

This is the current state of the downstairs. Have a few patches to bring up to my standards on the ceiling yet, but now have some of the ceiling paint to touch those up. I got speakers re-installed the other night and the TV back on the wall. I need a second coat of paint on the wall the chair molding came off of. There are a couple of pieces of base molding to patch, then put down quarter round around the room, then caulk and touch up all the trim. We've decided to just do a simple painted box around the beam. There will be two additional boxes/beams at each end of the room to balance it out, both will serve purposes for an additional HVAC duct over the half wall/window, the other will allow for a drop ceiling in the corner hall way area.
2018-03-08 22.44.07.jpg 2018-03-08 22.43.29.jpg 2018-03-08 22.44.16.jpg 2018-03-08 22.44.40.jpg

This coming weekend will be spent finishing up paint/trim downstairs, and flooring and trim upstairs.

I keep imagining that steel beam with a nice 3000lb capacity gantry crane on it. Any doors big enough to drive machinery in there for an engine swap? The grand kids can stick stuff on there with magnets, or you can drill and tap in some heavy duty eye hooks for a nice porch swing, why the possibilities are endless.:D:D

I keep imagining that steel beam with a nice 3000lb capacity gantry crane on it. Any doors big enough to drive machinery in there for an engine swap? The grand kids can stick stuff on there with magnets, or you can drill and tap in some heavy duty eye hooks for a nice porch swing, why the possibilities are endless.:D:D

My wife keeps saying, with her designer hat on, that she has to work with the elements in the room. I actually like that idea and may have to see if we can talk her into doing something with that.

I was noticing as I was working around the beam that it has some musical qualities depending on where you tap on it due to all the weight it's supporting. Though it sounds about as good as a theremin tone wise. :rolleyes:

Today was mostly putting down flooring upstairs, started about 10 AM, finished up putting down trim about 10 PM. I think I may be a bit sore tomorrow. :rolleyes:
2018-03-10 13.07.42.jpg 2018-03-10 19.36.04.jpg 2018-03-10 19.36.19.jpg 2018-03-10 21.57.28.jpg

The new floor is a little more brown than the old floor, but pretty a close match.
2018-03-10 21.58.36.jpg

One thing I wasn't happy with was the floor plug the electrician installed, I was wanting a recessed box, but what I got was a standard old work box screwed to the floor. I did a little shopping this week and found a recessed box of more what I was wanting. So that got swapped while working on the floor too.
2018-03-10 15.48.38.jpg 2018-03-10 15.48.46.jpg 2018-03-10 23.15.58.jpg

Yeah the peanut gallery is curious as to whether or not you're still able to stand and put your shirt on by yourself. 10-10 :eek: When I did our floor the up and down was pretty killer (getting a miter saw stand literally saved my back).

I do like your new electric box.. The recessed ones like that are nice.

Thanks all! Was a slow start, but got all the new and replaced trim caulked and ready for touch ups, finished some ceiling patches downstairs and painted those, and got all the floors cleaned, should be moving furniture back in the next few days .

Did take some time off tonight to play pinball and setup the new Oculus VR. Love handing off the headset to my wife and saying "check this out" when it's at the top edge of a sky scraper looking down, boy does she jump back. :D

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Did take some time off tonight to play pinball and setup the new Oculus VR.

When i think of that VR set and the whole concept i just cannot help thinking Soylent Green here we come.

There is a scene in the movie Soylent Green where Edward G Robinson ( Sol) goes of to the dome to lie down have a glass of wine take his pill and watch his last movie taking him back to when deer were in the fields and there was still greenery on earth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOV8mBjHHYg

Somehow i see VR doing this for many in the city today. :rofl:

Hey Darren maybe you could program some subliminal cake making imagery into the vr image feed. ;)

Last edited:
Just catching up on this thread. It's looking very nice, Darren. :thumb:

Now knock off all this hard work. You're making the rest of us look bad. :D

I've been pretty neglectful of the project this week to make you all feel better. Been spending time with my nephew that just got back from deployment in Kuwait the last 6 months. He's in the AF reserves, and his job (railroad) is pretty supportive of his time spent with the AF.

I did hit the gym for the first time in a while though and so far it's been a breeze working out after all that ladder climbing and crawling up off the floor. ;)