Long Overdue: Toolbox cleaning and relubrication

Kerry Burton

OK, so I'm slow...

I bought this Husky toolbox about ... 17? ... years ago, and put it out in my shed with my new-ish motorcycle. [Full Disclosure: The toolbox has never really been used for woodworking tools, unless a hammer and screwdrivers count.]

ELPH360HS_2976_EmptyToolboxWithDrawerSlides.jpg

At first it "worked" just fine. But over the years I started noticing that, especially during the colder parts of the year, the drawers were harder and harder to pull open. I figured it had something to do with the pre-applied grease, but had no idea what I could do about it.

The other day, while cleaning out the shed so I could move it out of the easement (where I unwittingly paid to have it constructed 19 years ago) I mentioned my frustration to my wife. She said something about removing the drawers. I thought, "Can I do that?" Duh ... yes, I could. I just had to take a close look. :doh:

Anyway, I found the trouble. This 19-year-old grease is VERY gummy and sticky!

ELPH360HS_2977_StickyDrawerSlides.jpg

Unless someone talks me out of it, I already have a plan for the relubrication part. I want to do a side-by-side comparison of several products and see how they fare.

ELPH360HS_2976_RelubeChoices.jpg

But my BIG QUESTION is about how to remove the current "goo" with the best combination of effectiveness, low odor and low residue.

I've read about kerosene, mineral spirits, naptha (too volatile?) and I have a couple of actual degreasers (Simple Green and some purple stuff). I'm not too worried about rust, but that might just be my ignorance of the type of metal those slides are made out of.

There you have it; the Suggestion Box is now OPEN!

Hmm, I'm counting six drawers and only 4 products to test :D Might I suggest adding CRC-36 multipurpose to the mix? It's been pretty much my go-to for the last 4-5 years.

The purple stuff is "Zep Purple", I haven't tried most of the new friendly stuff but might be worth a shot. Dawn dish soap in some water with a stiff bristle brush also works pretty well, but any water based stuff you need to get it dry asap. Using water almost to hot to handle helps some with preventing flash rust (these might not have a problem as you noted)

Water based solvents wouldn't be my first choice unless maybe they contained a lot of citrus oils. I'd be tempted to put on the rubber gloves and give WD40 or some other penetrating oil, and a brass brush a chance to see if it would loosen some of it up. If that didn't work I'd switch to a very small amount of last years lawn mower gas that got water in it and is still sitting out back by the fence...same brass brush.

Hmm, I'm counting six drawers and only 4 products to test :D
Sorry about that; I guess I could have included a shot of the box before I took it apart ... but I neglected to take one. There are actually 6 smaller drawers in the top section, and 4 larger drawers below. I was going to do the "experiment" with the larger drawers.

Might I suggest adding CRC-36 multipurpose to the mix? It's been pretty much my go-to for the last 4-5 years.
Cool - thanks!

I'd be tempted to put on the rubber gloves and give WD40 or some other penetrating oil, and a brass brush a chance to see if it would loosen some of it up. If that didn't work I'd switch to a very small amount of last years lawn mower gas that got water in it[...].

i actually have some of that!

Last edited:
Time for an update...

In the end I skipped the unfamiliar-to-me DynaGlide, and substituted Tri-Flow (with Teflon!) :rolleyes: instead.

StockImage_TriFlow.jpg

I remounted the slides and drawers (nearly a month ago now) from the bottom up, using the various lubricants as labeled.

Elph360HS_3063_ToolboxWithLabels.jpg

Believe it or not, Tri-Flow has emerged as the "winner" for my purposes. I eventually used it for the six smaller drawers as well.

White Lithium Grease was a close second.

TopCote was "meh".

Silicone seems to stick the most.​

To be clear, in the cold outdoors all of the drawers stick when they first bump up against the inner slides. But after a quick break-loose tug, the Tri-Flow drawers continue to go all the way out and back in (over and over) without sticking again, while each of the other drawers bogs down at some point.

For what it's worth...