Looking for an idea

Athough it pains me to say it, I have to agree with my brother on this one. Because the side units , due to their design, would never be used individually, I think going with solid panels on the center cabinet is the answer.

Can I get a copy of the assembly drawings?

I am coming to that conclusion too, reluctantly though. There isn't really another good option. Now that I have settled on the design and convinced the wife I will start to work out the final details. Still have to work out the final dimension.

Just send your email address by PM and I will happy to share. All I ask is you don't pass it out to everyone. ;)

If you are going with a flat panel, then why push the center unit out further than the electronic components?

Thats easy. Cause I like the way it looks. :D

More importantly that is the way the LOML life wants it to look. It's all about the style of the cabinet. The style and type of TV is secondary. Plus I don't want to have to rip out baseboards and attach a narrow cabinet to wall, but that is just a secondary consideration. The style was decided on before the TV was.

Jeff, I agree and have edited my post above. Thanks.

No problem Jeff. Copyright laws are confusing and many people want to argue that they can't do "this or that" when in fact they can and have for years. Don't worry about it! :thumb:

We have looked and done some home work and decided we want something in 32" or MAYBE 36" screen. That is the right size for our room and our tastes. This is a very good decision as many people go for bigger TV's in too small a room. A rule of thumb which works for me is 2 1/2 times the height of the image is as close as you want to sit..

I am going to make the opening larger than the TV just in case I need to replace it and the new one is not the exact same size. This is a wise idea also, just in case you move it into the "Great Room" and need a larger image.:rolleyes:
Since most of the new TV's are available with black cases I am going to paint or stain the back panel black and perhaps the sides of the opening black so that the TV blends in better with background and is less distracting. This is a good idea for this area and also consider the area where the components are. Wiring is less visable.That should help with the fact that opening around the TV is larger too.

Jeff
Hi Jeff, :wave:
Since the image of the tv is the focal point of the piece and since the hole is larger than the tv it seems a great place to highlight some of that fantastic wood with a very beautiful frame that can be removed to fit some tv down the road.
I can see a plinth block with a backer board and a turned spindel (half round) supporting a beautiful freize that surrounds the tv and helps enhance the rest of the entertainment center. Just filler, just an idea.:D
Shaz

Since the image of the tv is the focal point of the piece and since the hole is larger than the tv it seems a great place to highlight some of that fantastic wood with a very beautiful frame that can be removed to fit some tv down the road.

Thats a great idea! Had not thought about that. I like it!

The style will have to be a bit simpler than what you descrived though. This is an Arts and Crafts style home so I lines are simple and basically all squares. But I can work with that. Thanks for idea Shaz!

Wow! My brother agrees with something I said? :eek: :D

I think you could glue up solid panels for the sides. Maybe use sliding dovetails or my patented sliding-dovetail-tongue-and-groove joint for the dust panels and other crossing parts.

I like Robert's idea of framing around the display. Just leave ventilation in the back of the cabinet and make it possible to get inside for cleaning.

Hi Jeff, :wave:
If you go to www.sshazz.com and then click entertainment centers scroll down to old world elegance in tomball, you can see a frame around their flat panel that was not painted when I installed it, then scroll down to the last photo the one competing with the Houston skyline and there is an obvious but different frame around that tv. They were made starting with one cut to size sheet of plywood.
There is a good solution.:rolleyes:
Shaz

Jeff, your design is looking good. I am looking forward to seeing the pics in progress!

Shaz, just visited your site for the first time. You really need to work on your projects, they are all so plain.:rofl: Seriously, you do beautiful work and I may have to pick your brains in the future!

Jeff, I really like the overall look you have going. I agree with Dave's comments on the solid side panels, and see you do too. ;) Isn't SU grand?
...Shaz, just visited your site for the first time. You really need to work on your projects, they are all so plain.:rofl: Seriously, you do beautiful work and I may have to pick your brains in the future!
I did the same, and was thinking along similar lines. So plain and all the same. :D

Seriously, I knew you did good work, but was very impressed by the scope of your work. And a banyan tree, to boot!