Loose change

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I was cleaning out my nightstand this morning and I've got an 8" or so round basket in the top drawer all my loose change goes into. For fun I got my grandson to sit down and help me sort all of it out into different jars. Surprisingly there was a little over $60 in just quarters. :eek: It's looking like between nickles and dimes there may be another $30 or so. For his efforts I plan to take him up to the sporting goods store and pickup a new ball glove, bat, some t-balls, and a t-ball stand.

I've also got another gallon jar in storage that is about 3/4ths of the way full that the same basket has been emptied into over the past few years several times. After some quick googling, It looks like the credit union has a change counter in the local branch, so just going to take it up and let them count it. ;)

Got a big beer stein on my dresser that hold around $150 in change when full. Least it has the two times I have filled it. I use very little cash anymore, rarely even carry any, so takes a long time to fill it.
I'd say you are putting yours to good use...

You have given me the incentive to see what's in my coffee cans full of change. I know there is everything from quarters to pennies, but in dollar amounts, who knows? Gonna be really bad out on Wednesday, so that might be a nice little project.

I use my change to refill the credit card of the coffee machine at work, some other times I give it to the cashier at the supermarket as they are always short of change, although that is changing fast, and more and more people are using their phones rather than cash or credit cards to pay.

Good on you, Grampa!!!

Bobbie collects all of our change and keeps it organized to go into rolls to take to the credit union occasionally. No grandkids near us.

My extra change ends up in a plastic jar about 6 X 6 X 6" with a screw on lid. When it gets too heavy to lift easily, it goes to the credit union with me. They have a change counting machine that's free to use by the members. I dump my jar slowly into it, then recycle anything that ends up in the coin return. By then, anything that gets returned is either Canadian money, is bent, or is otherwise somehow defective. The machine prints a receipt that I then take to a teller who gives me bills or deposits it in my desired account. I have a "fun money" savings account that usually gets designated for buying new tools or something else that's not in the weekly budget. This year it has been buying items for my still being built home photo studio. The jar usually contains $200-235 when it goes to the credit union, and this is usually about every 3 months or so.

Charley

Hmm, Looks like I have at least 2 gallons of change with a high percentage of quarters....

Need to find somewhere that will count them.

change.jpg

Do not know if they are still available - the old 5 gallon GLASS water bottles.

Saw a full one of those (coins) picked up - Very Heavy - and the bottom broke off. Not sure what the plastic ones might do.

Do not know if they are still available - the old 5 gallon GLASS water bottles.

Saw a full one of those (coins) picked up - Very Heavy - and the bottom broke off. Not sure what the plastic ones might do.
I used to like brewing with glass carboys. Was fun to watch the yeast do its work. Kind of like a lava lamp when they were active.

Saw too many pictures of accidents online with them and got rid of all my glass carboys. Just an accident waiting to happen was my opinion.