Lots of Vertical Space

This is fabulous! My concentration in college was in historic preservation - did you take advantage of barn restoration grants and tax credits? I grew up in a rural area and I hate to watch barns deteriorate. Without barns in a community, you are really losing part of the connection to the land as well as a great place to build homecoming floats. ;) But seriously - a barn is a great place to assemble larger works.
Thanks Amy. We’ve actually discussed building a boat in there. 😀

Last edited:
Wonderful work!!! Tell the son, "Great Job!!".
Thanks Jon. I passed that along, which brought a smile!
We’re in a race with winter, but the week ahead looks good after tomorrow, which will bring a mix of snow and rain with some freezing rain. “Good” weather here in the end of Nov is above freezing, winds below 50 km/hr and no precip. We still have a big tarp over it all when he’s not working, but hope to have the Novaseal underpayment (which is very water tight) in place mid week.

Finally, we are done, for now. The last few inches at the peak seemed to take forever as he struggled with cold, snow, rain and wind. His brother was home for Christmas and the two of them put a big push on to get the last details in place and send the lift home
You can see the curved rake boards in place, as well as coloured aluminum fascia at the bottom of the roof. It’s not really traditional material, but will allow for zero maintenance behind new eavestrough to keep things much drier along the foundation and sills.
It’s wonderful to stand in there in heavy rain and hear no dripping!

CC879F65-36D9-45D7-865F-845E169343CE.jpeg

Peter, love the roof style of your barn. There are a few old barns like that around my mother's, now my brother's place in the Snohomish valley. I have always admired them.
Thanks Bill. The gothic roof design was an innovation of the early 1900’s around here, allowing for easier storage of loose hay without the obstacles of an internal timber frame structure. I’ve heard there are 12-15 of them surviving here in the Annapolis Valley. That period was also a prosperous time for the apple industry, so stylish new barns were obviously a popular investment.
I’ve also heard that the availability of skilled craftsmen from the declining shipbuilding industry here at that time also might have facilitated the building of these barns. The laminated arches do have a certain similarity to the frames of wooden ships. But, that doesn’t account for their existence across the Prairies and as you point out, in the Pacific Northwest. It seems to me I’ve seen one or two in the Fraser Valley as well.
I still have to take down the tarps we rigged inside to capture the leaks. When they’re all cleared away we hope to get a friend to do some drone video inside, which should be very cool.

Oh what an accomplishment!!!! SHAYNE, YOU THE MAN!!!!!!!!!! Good job to all involved. How long and wide is this barn (sorry if you have mentioned it earlier). Been wondering if winter shut you guys down. WOW. Enjoy, enjoy the feeling, enjoy the sight of the completed roof, enjoy the lack of drips, enjoy each an every moment! (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)X1,000,000

Oh what an accomplishment!!!! SHAYNE, YOU THE MAN!!!!!!!!!! Good job to all involved. How long and wide is this barn (sorry if you have mentioned it earlier). Been wondering if winter shut you guys down. WOW. Enjoy, enjoy the feeling, enjoy the sight of the completed roof, enjoy the lack of drips, enjoy each an every moment! (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)X1,000,000
Thanks Jonathan! I think you’re as excited about this as we are!😀 I’ll certainly pass along your compliments to Shayne.
The footprint of the barn is 50 feet long and 43 feet wide and it’s 34 feet from the peak down the curve of the roof to the drip edge. It’s on a slight slope, so the livestock is housed in the walkout basement. The heated woodworking shop is on the first floor adjacent to the unheated open barn floor area, which I try to keep uncluttered, but is now jammed up with offcuts and lumber and some machines we set up out there just for this project. Cleanup is underway, which is very satisfying.
We won’t be able to stop to admire the job too long, as we have a couple of major renovation jobs in the house this winter and a good list of projects in the shop. Farm work gets going again by late March in this climate.