Made a big ole pot of.....

Mike Stafford

Brunswick stew. I love Brunswick stew. Give me a nice big bowl of Brunswick stew and some cornbread and I am about as close to heaven as I can be on earth.

Normally my Brunswick stew is just chicken, some finely minced country ham scraps, onions, taters, crushed maters, corn and butter beans with some butter, black pepper, cayenne and a taste of sugar.. All of that is lubricated with some chicken stock in which I boil the chicken until it is ready to fall off the bone. I take the chicken off the bones and chop it up into random sized pieces. Then I add the various ingredients one at a time and cook them together for an hour for each addition to the pot except for the corn which is added last and once the stew comes back to a boil it is ready to eat.

Today I added some leftover stew beef and barbecue to the mix; probably about a half pound of each. I 've done this many times before when the leftovers were available because it just makes the stew richer. Traditionally Brunswick stew included beef, pork, fowl, squirrels, rabbits and whatever else they could find to throw in the pot. I have one recipe that calls for half an ox. I have looked around and no one in my area is selling oxen these days. Besides I don't have a big enough pot to cook half an ox.

Mighty fine eating if I do say so myself.

My wife made a bean dish several nights ago... One she hasn't made in years. Has three or four different beans, hamburger, a little liquid smoke Ketchup and other spices.. I ate it for dinner three nights in a row and was sad to run out. I was tell my kids and they both remember exactly what it was from when they were at home... Of coarse there is a price for eating beans, I have been locked in the basement for three days!

My wife made a bean dish several nights ago... One she hasn't made in years. Has three or four different beans, hamburger, a little liquid smoke Ketchup and other spices.. I ate it for dinner three nights in a row and was sad to run out. I was tell my kids and they both remember exactly what it was from when they were at home... Of coarse there is a price for eating beans, I have been locked in the basement for three days!
You know what they say, "Beans, beans good for your heart......"