Magazine Caddy Organizer

Brett Luna

I finished a quick little project today. I purposely didn’t build a whole lot of dividers into the magazine caddies I made a while back, opting instead to make organizer modules later that suit my and The Wife’s needs. Looking in her caddy, I decide it was time to make her one. I hope she likes it. She doesn’t yet know that I’ve made it.

She’s been keeping pens and a pair of reading glasses in a disposable plastic cup, so I decided to fancify that a bit. I wanted to keep the design consistent with the caddy, which meant QSWO and box joints again. This gave me the opportunity to try out a new blade I picked during our recent trip to Washington: the Forrest Woodworker II, with a special #1 (ATB-R) grind. They even call it a box joint blade. Fantastic blade. Not only are grooves and dados clean with flat bottoms, sawn edges are practically glue ready without jointing.

I resawed a 5/4 piece of oak left over from the caddy build and planed the planks down to 3/8” (9.5mm) and further planed a piece of one to 1/4” (6.4mm) for a pair of dividers. After cutting the sides to size, I cut dados for the dividers with the same blade using multiple passes to sneak up on a good fit. I then box jointed them, glued them up, and trimmed the box to its final height.

ca8b575ddd051cab8e4adced6f7073ab.jpg

I cut the bottom from 1/4” Baltic birch plywood and rather than square off the corners of the rabbet, I rounded the bottom to fit.

80d2cb0647264a2bf81ec367610ce70c.jpg

For a touch of luxury, I lined one compartment with PSA velour flocking for her readers.

644b17247667abbc108f835e51735908.jpg

Finish was three coats of spray shellac, followed by three coats of satin lacquer.