Making sawtooth shelf standards

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
An upcoming commission for a pantry cabinet requires full extension slides for drawers (behind the pantry doors) and full adjustability. I looked at a few options and I think that using sawtooth standards and attaching the slides to the cross pieces might be the best way to go. I did a little research and they are available commercially, but they are only 7/16” thick, poplar, and a bit pricey. I’d prefer making them from 3/4” maple.
Looks like something I can make but I’m thinking this wheel has already been invented by another woodworker and there is probably a semi automated way to do this. I’m continuing to search YouTube but thought I’d ask here… just in case.
792B96DD-B296-403C-AB59-BD65415B6168.jpeg

Fine Woodworking has an article by Jeff Miller, early 2000's where he built a bookcase and used these. I did the same, and used his tech. You make two jigs for the tablesaw, I kept the jigs, it worked so good.

Sorry but I hope that helps with a little searching. Bad night last night, storms and all

Fine Woodworking has an article by Jeff Miller, early 2000's where he built a bookcase and used these. I did the same, and used his tech. You make two jigs for the tablesaw, I kept the jigs, it worked so good.

Sorry but I hope that helps with a little searching. Bad night last night, storms and all
Fantastic! I’ll go looking as soon as my power comes back on.
:confused:

you might want to check out the threads for the barber's bench, and pantry that i made. i did up the sawtooth guides on the cnc, so that they would all be the same.

bb046.jpg016 first bracket being cut.jpg018 all brackets finished.JPG

Last edited:
Let me help with that . . . At 2:36 here. Steve sent me some pieces of sawtooth standard in order for me to try to figure out a jig to make them. I couldn't get past the 45 degree restriction. It seems Jeff is OK with this so it is probably OK 😬
Hmmm. Gotta be a member. Might be, will have to check on pc tomorrow. Also, I might have this on a thumb drive somewhere.