mantel project

Larry , do they want that color or do they want that product ? Usually most all customers don't know anything about products , they see a color they like and think they can only get it with the product they saw it in.

color and they dont know product dave but at 35 a gal vrs primer at 45 gal and top coat at 65 gal i dont know where to go. she just replied she wants satin finish

It you have a white lacquer and are feeling good about your ability to tint it to the white she is looking for and then clear coat that's the way to go. Or just get the white she wants . I'd share with my customers that there is a charge for the customer colors. I tell them we can match as close as we can from our supplies in lacquer at no extra cost.

Larry, is the client wanting to use the same paint they used on other trim in the room? Sounds like that's why they're insisting on a specific product.

Bil: i think i can just get close to the color and be ok. customer wise.. i really dont like the idea of spraying latex paint, but i watched a guy on you tube make it look easy.. gravity gun and 2.0 nozzel is what i have been told to use.

dave: i would feel much better with lacquer, and target coatings can match sherwin williams colors. but they guy told me i needed the primer than the top coat, could i substitute the primer with sealcoat? if so then could get it sealed and then hit with top coat of white?

Bil: i think i can just get close to the color and be ok. customer wise.. i really dont like the idea of spraying latex paint, but i watched a guy on you tube make it look easy.. gravity gun and 2.0 nozzel is what i have been told to use.

dave: i would feel much better with lacquer, and target coatings can match sherwin williams colors. but they guy told me i needed the primer than the top coat, could i substitute the primer with sealcoat? if so then could get it sealed and then hit with top coat of white?

Larry I would do a test 1st to make sure the seal coat is comparable with the top coat. We do white primer 1st and we will tint the primer and then tint the finish coat. Many times we'll clear coat with the desired finish Simi gloss in your case.

Use white lacquer sealer on a sample board 2-3 coats , then regular white lacquer satin finish . Put the test board next to the lowest white sample. Most likely you'll need a couple drops of black to move the tint . Then depending on the hue a couple drops of yellow or blue or red. I can look at that white tomorrow when I go up to the shop to feed Jimmy & Jenny and get on the computer.

Differently white /white , if you feel confident doing a tint , Valspar is not a difficult to spray. You can still use a white lacquer primer as your base. Also spraying will give you a different sheen if the rest of the woodwork was brushed. You may want to just brush it out. Hope I'm not confussioning you. With out knowing the other finishes and the customer .

this is going next to a latex painted wall and white latex trim on floor and windows. so you have sprayed valspar latex paint? i had figured on rubbing it out some to dull the surface and smooth it out some

Update; i have gotten target coatings water base tinted lacquer for this project and was able to get my questions answered threw jeff weiss of target coatings. his recommendations were to not use seal coat under the em6500 because it will cause crackling in the finish. if a primer is needed for high tannin woods or covering blems use zinnser kilz first,then top coat with em7000. he suggested a 1.8 to 2.0 nozzel for the em6500 and 1.5 for the em7000