Memory Test

Paul Douglass

I had to go in to the my neurologist today to take a memory test to set a base line for future tests. This followup for determining the damage and after affects of my last stroke... It was not meant to be hard. but taking any kind of test has always been hard for me.. I knew this was coming and it has kept me awake thinking about it. I go back in a week to discuss it with the neurologist... She did not give me the test the nurse did.. I think that was so the neurologist does not see the interaction between me and the tester, she just see the results... I know I have deficits in short term memory, but I do not know if it is stroke caused or 78 year old caused... I do get confused some times, I tell my wife I am having a Biden moment, and I have to concentrate harder on things. but again is that age or stroke.. What I am amaze at and thankful for is how well I do, and I can still take care of myself and function as well as I do. In reality, I am going on 1/2 brain. Must be the half I used very little anyway. What I want to ask next time, if I remember, Why worry it.. to my knowledge there is not cure for Alzheimers. So if I have, it is what it is.. Been through it with my mother.. It is horrible for family.. she did not know anything different..

My guitar player had what his neurologist called a 'massive stroke' a few months ago. The claim is that he lost 1/3 of his brain capacity. I have no idea if that's really true, or if it's 1/3 of one hemisphere or what.

But he can still remember long passages of comedy albums that he probably learned in high school. He has his good days and bad days on playing guitar, but if you didn't know, you wouldn't think he had suffered something like that. Our standard joke is that what he lost he must not have ever used very much anyway.

Keep on keeping on, I say.

My FIL had a stroke at 90, He lost the swallow reflex and had to be fed through a PEC, which is basically a tube inserted to your stomach through your belly. after 10 months, he could swallow again, the tube was removed and now he is 93 and the only difference from before the stroke is that he has to eat everything triturated or if he wants to something the portion must be small and he has to chew a lot.
Hang in there Paul, and live the present moment without thinking too muchs in the future. It is better to focus on the things that one can do than on the ones that one cannot.