Millers Falls Hand Drill #2 (1935)

Bill Satko

I guess you know you are officially retired when you start browsing spring sales. The town of Twisp had their annual "Tools & Trunk" sale. They encourage all residents to bring items and display them on tables in the same place they have the weekly Farmer's Market. Now being retired, I figured why not stop by before going for a hike this morning. They had a limited amount of "antique" tools, but I did manage to snag a Millers Falls No 2 hand drill with the friction roller, something I always wanted. Looking up the info for the drill, I narrowed it down to the 1935 version. I also got a very nice small hammer. It had a wonderful feeling handle.

IMG_20210403_112850272.jpgIMG_20210403_112745540.jpg
IMG_20210403_112933574.jpg
1617477627259.png

Neat, I don't think I've ever seen one with a friction roller on it in person. Does it change the action much?

Nice little hammer as well, I do admit to having a fondness for those and that one was nice enough to come with a pretty decent looking handle as well!

Neat, I don't think I've ever seen one with a friction roller on it in person. Does it change the action much?

Nice little hammer as well, I do admit to having a fondness for those and that one was nice enough to come with a pretty decent looking handle as well!
I have not had much experience using many hand drills but the ones I have used were not as smooth as this one. I am assuming that much of that can be attributed to the friction roller. Now that I have looked closer at it, I am amazed how it has little to no rust. It does need some cleaning and lubricating and it appears that the springs for the jaws may need replacing.

The hammer is very light weight which the picture does not show. It is only 10.5 ounces. It is a Stanley as you can see.IMG_20210403_112838313.jpg

I have a hammer similar also, but have broken the handle out of it... haven't replaced the handle yet because I have 2 other about same size... they have a steel handle and some composite type handle... I really prefer the feel of a wood hammer handle. Guess I need to get of my rusty and put a handle in it.

Also have a small pole axe needing a handle too.