Mirka Abranet - Anyone using it? Thoughts?

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
Been thinking about trying out the Mirka Abranet abrasive disks for my 5" ROS. They're pricey but are supposed to way outlast sandpaper - something I've been using a lot of lately. So, the expectation is that it would be cost effective because of its longer life.

If you've had experience with it, please share!

Yep, love it. Do get the backer pads though as the stock Velcro on a lot of ROS is to long and fits through the mesh and you'll burn it right off. Where it really shines is stuff that clogs up regular paper bad like sanding back epoxy fill or resinous wood and first round material removal. I still mostly use regular paper for final finishing.

I used Abranet with a pneumatic sander when I was working on my walnut slab. It worked great for getting rid of the router bit marks left after flattening the slab. I used 80, 100, and 120 grit Abranet, then switched to regular aluminum oxide discs to finish the sanding. The Abranet I got have a cloth backing, so they worked well on hook and loop sanders. When one got loaded, I'd hit it with the air hose and keep going.

Last edited:
Good stuff. Long lasting. Clog resistant. As Ryan said, make sure you use the backing pad.

I use mostly 120 grit, followed by 220. Works great.

BTW, another great product is their Mirlon abrasive pads. Comes in 360, 1000, and 2500 grit equivalent. Great for finalizing a finish. 1000 grit makes a really nice matte finish. 360 removes any dust nibs, etc. A coat of wax after the 2500 grit makes everything super smooth and glossy.

Thank you everyone for the excellent feedback. Based on this I have ordered the starter pack from woodcraft. It includes a backer pad and six different grits. I will give it a try! Thank you