Mobile Base Hardware - Maybe It's Just Me

glenn bradley

I had posted a fix for a shelf pin jig only to be embarrassed that apparently I was the only person having the issue :oops:. I mention this just in case this is another one of those issues.

I have a couple of Rockler's Power Tool Mobile Base Hardware sets. Both have the same problem. The caster plate does not set parallel to the ground when the wheel is in the down (mobile) position. I worked with Rockler on this and they sent me a replacement which exhibited the same behavior. The pictures on the web look good but, in actuality I get this:

Rockler Prob-Solve (1).jpg
With the caster plate not parallel to the ground the base allows movement BUT will "snap" the caster back into the position shown when you release the machine. With the advent of the replacement caster working the same way I decided to modified the thing. I figured out the angle required to make the plate parallel to the ground (9 degrees) and took an angle grinder to the foot pedal.
Rockler Prob-Solve (2).jpg
Now the caster plate sets parallel and the base moves more easily and stays where you stop instead of rocking back to the position shown in the first pic.
Rockler Prob-Solve (3).jpg
My first rough cuts turned out pretty good so I cleaned them up and reassembled it for good (not shown).