MOBY DICK

Cool work Leo, but if you accept some criticism I think that adding the lateral fins would make it more realistic. See pics below
descarga (1).jpgdescarga (2).jpg
index.php
descarga.jpg

Dan,

The location I referenced is in fact at the State Pier in New Bedford harbor. The actual whaling docks were from one pier north to three piers south of the state pier.

The Herman Melville story is based in New Bedford, but the actual real story is from the Nantucket based whaleship Essex, and the real name is Mocha Dick.

New Bedford is my hometown. I have lived there until I got married. Now I live 20 minutes north of New Bedford.

The long and Lat you referenced cannot exist. The minutes cannot be larger than 60, as there are only 60 minutes to one degree. So, where wver that location is, it is not New Bedford. It is somewhere around Woonsocket, Rhode Island. There was never any whaling done that far inland.

Cool work Leo, but if you accept some criticism I think that adding the lateral fins would make it more realistic. See pics below
index.php
Toni,

Yes I agree.

Not necessarily looking for realism, but rather artistic content. Many of the Nantucket of whaling nautical décor has a not so realistic look to it. So, some do and some don't have the fins. I do have other models with fins. I have actually taken a picture of the whale hanging over the entrance to the whaling museum in New Bedford and working on creating a model of that. That one has the fins.

Also the eye is not present on my model.

Not rejecting criticism, just pointing out why it looks like it does.

Dan,

The location I referenced is in fact at the State Pier in New Bedford harbor. The actual whaling docks were from one pier north to three piers south of the state pier.

The Herman Melville story is based in New Bedford, but the actual real story is from the Nantucket based whaleship Essex, and the real name is Mocha Dick.

New Bedford is my hometown. I have lived there until I got married. Now I live 20 minutes north of New Bedford.

The long and Lat you referenced cannot exist. The minutes cannot be larger than 60, as there are only 60 minutes to one degree. So, where wver that location is, it is not New Bedford. It is somewhere around Woonsocket, Rhode Island. There was never any whaling done that far inland.
my oops, rounded off the decimal degrees.... 41.6362, 70.9342

my oops, rounded off the decimal degrees.... 41.6362, 70.9342
Dan,

If you are using Decimal degrees you cannot call it in Degrees, minutes, seconds.

Even still. Your decimal degree location location is about a half mile on shore in New Bedford. We used to dock out boat on one of the old whaling docks, and I worked on and around the docks in New Bedford. The fishing industry still uses the same dock locations as the whalers, but they have been rebuild since the 1800's.

A lot of the historical buildings were torn down in the 1960's to make room for the JFK Memorial Highway - what a tragedy - . What is left is restored and is growing in popularity. I have 4 beautiful signs hanging is the historic whaling area in New Bedford.

If anyone ever wants to come visit New England, and in particular New Bedford, I would love to take you on a tour of the area. It is rich in history, even dating to the Revolutionary war, and the Civil war.