Modern Bed/Nightstands in walnut

Goal one this weekend was to finish the M&T joinery for the bed rails. I clamped a square to mark out the edge of the shoulder
IMG_2389.JPEG

Then a few light tap on a chisel to give me a starting point for the saw.
IMG_2390.JPEG

I mark my cut depth
IMG_2392.JPEG

Using another square to sight along I use my pull saw to cut the shoulder.
IMG_2391.JPEG

Next I use a wide chisel to pop off successive bits of the tenon till I get to my mark.
IMG_2393.JPEG

Using a circle template I mark out the radius for the end of the tenon. Sometimes I just find it easier to round ovrer the tenon rather than square up the mortise.
IMG_2394(1).JPEG

I use a flush trim saw to back cut the corners.
IMG_2395.JPEG

Back to the chisel to slice back to the line
IMG_2396.JPEG

Clean up using some 150 grit and the 'shoe shine' method.
IMG_2398.JPEG

Good fit! A pass or two with a shoulder plane and it slides home like a piston.
IMG_2399.JPEG

Goal two was installing the bed bolts. Been putting this off because being that accurate makes me nervous. :rofl:

After plotting out where all the holes should go I drilled a very shallow 1" hole which matches the diameter of the washer. I did not drill this to full depth so I would have more 'meat' guiding the drill bit on its ling journey into end grain.

IMG_2400.JPEG

Next, on the drill press, I drilled the 3/8" shank hole for the bolt. I first drilled a 1/8" through hole. this marked the exit point for the larger bit allowing me to partially drill through from the inside of the mortice, then flipping the piece I completed the hole from the face - no blow out.
IMG_2402.JPEGIMG_2403.JPEGIMG_2404.JPEG

Next came the nerve-racking part - the long deep bolt hole in the end grain of the bed rail. Prayers having been uttered I charged on.
I made an additional guide that stood far back from the hole and used the bit as a drft pin to align the hole in the u=guide to the one in the leg. This essentially gave me about 3" of guide for the bit to get the hole started.
IMG_2405.JPEG

As I went deeper I removed the guide and then the leg to drill deep enough o capture the full length of the bolt.

Now, even the best laid plans go wacky so, rather than just trust the drill went straight I used some rare earth magnets to locate the bolt in the wood. I was pretty close with only a 1/32 or so deviation but even that would have been enough to keep the bolt from threading.
Then one more nail biter, the bolt hole which needed to be about 1 1/8" deep...in 1 1/4" material! I held my breath on each one holing the drill would not grab and pop through the face!
IMG_2408.JPEGIMG_2410.JPEGIMG_2406.JPEG

Last step back to the drill press to finish the hole for the washer and bolt head.
IMG_2407.JPEG

Attachments

• IMG_2401.JPEG
    IMG_2401.JPEG
    143.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2409.JPEG
    IMG_2409.JPEG
    136.3 KB · Views: 6
Next came the nerve-racking part - the long deep bolt hole in the end grain of the bed rail. Prayers having been uttered I charged on.
No nail biting emoji on the like button so I settled for 🍿

Looking pretty good! I had to drill some similar cross bolts for the rear jaw on my twin screw vice into the bottom of my workbench whilst upside down.. but that had a bit more leeway in the amount of failure slop allowed :).

Well, if I weren't so honest I could come off a bit "cooler". I thought I had just clicked a "like" in a hurry as I was not paying enough attention. Turns out I wasn't even paying that much attention and I apoplogivze. I have never been a big fan of the "like" button. I have always thought that if I had something to say . . . it was worth saying (lord knows there are enough people who wish would shut up). Having said that . . . (man I hate it when he gets in one of those blathering modes and can't stop himself) . . .

Nice job on the modern style. I have been watching this thread as LOML is after something a little more "modern" in style for the new MBR. I would, of course, lay it out in an overload of Greene and Greene including overhead lighting and wall sconces BUT, it is not to be and that's OK. :).

I like the clean modern lines. The varying elevations in the surface planes keeps things visually interesting without losing the modern overall look. Some items I have made on request look so IKEA to me that I fail to sign them :mad: . These are anything but. Love the look, the material and the overall feel of the group.