More Clamp Racks

glenn bradley

I've done threads on these before so will not be super detailed here. This batch is made up from any scraps that happened to be big enough to yield parts. I unloaded one rack off tha wall to use as a guide.
McLaren Cleat Clamp Racks V2 (1).jpg

Laying out a bunch of the arm parts you can see how varied the source material is :D.
McLaren Cleat Clamp Racks V2 (2).jpg

I drill a bunch of holes for the "dowel nuts" that my design uses.
McLaren Cleat Clamp Racks V2 (3).jpg

I can't find my bandsaw sled so I cobbled a quick one together with a groove for holding round stock.
McLaren Cleat Clamp Racks V2 (4).jpg

Just like sliced bread.
McLaren Cleat Clamp Racks V2 (5).jpg

I glue the dowel pieces in with the grain perpendicular to the screw that will be used.
McLaren Cleat Clamp Racks V2 (6).jpg

I'll let these set up a bit and move along.

I am a bucket man myself. I store clamps, wood, cutoffs, tools and just about anything else that will fit in buckets. I have buckets full of nothing but sandpaper that I bought by the pound. Other buckets contain roughed out box blanks. Some buckets contain pieces of wood I love but haven't made the commitment to use (this wood gives as much pleasure in raw as it might in a finished product).

David, I probably have 50 buckets stacked up hither and yon with all kinds of stuff. Most contain wood blanks and scraps "too good" to throw away. I have scraps and cutoffs from my box building days and that was more than 20 years ago. And those scraps are still too good to throw away. :LOL:

When I was teaching woodturning I gave each student a pad of Klingspor gold sandpaper with grits from 80 to 600, I would frequently stop in the Klingspor store and buy a few pounds of sandpaper. They had big dump bins filled with roll ends and trimmings from the manufacturing process which they sold for $3 per pound. I would fill up a couple of grocery bags each time. When I got home I rolled it up or cut it into strips and stored it in buckets. I still have a lot of buckets filled with sandpaper

A sure sign that I finally have enough . . . empty spots.
McLaren Cleat Clamp Racks V2 (8).jpg
I've used the same approach on the racks that I used when I acquired the clamps. I just kept buying a couple more until I stopped running out of them during glue ups. I've finally stopped running out of places to put them :D

A sure sign that I finally have enough . . . empty spots.
View attachment 121788
I've used the same approach on the racks that I used when I acquired the clamps. I just kept buying a couple more until I stopped running out of them during glue ups. I've finally stopped running out of places to put them :D
They look great. I’m putting these on my short list for shop upgrades. I’ll recover about 4 square feet of floor space if I get rid of the old chain barrel.