More Oklahoma State Capital Stained glass

Ted Calver

Staff member
Today's office was up above these stained glass windows outside the senate chamber.

IMG_5848.jpeg, IMG_5849.jpeg.

Had to do some fancy climbing to get there.
IMG_5838.jpeg.

Once up top there wasn't much room for anything except crawling and kneeling...a lot like trying to get SWMBO to forgive you for buying a new tool :rofl:
IMG_5830.jpeg.

Had to vacuum a hundred years of dust off the protective plexiglass, peel off a big bead of silicone that kept dust from infiltrating in between layers, then remove some very old and hard caulk glazing that held the actual window in. We used oscillating tools to remove the caulk and they were pretty effective. The two closest windows (above) had been vacuumed, but the center one hadn't. The windows are roughly 48"x51".

Plexiglass slid to the side, caulk removed and window being vacuumed, ready to be strapped onto a same sized half inch board for the perilous journey back down. This is murder on the knees.
IMG_5847.jpeg,
IMG_5841.jpeg.

We got just three of them out today. Here's what all that hard work will do to ya. I'm only 23 years old!:rofl::rofl:
IMG_5834.jpeg

...You Sharpie marking your initials and date up there somewhere????
Totally forgot, but will be back in a couple of days and I'm tagging it! We're managing only three windows a day and have to retrieve three more to finish this side, then another similar batch of 15 on the other side of the hall.

Here's Mr. Tim getting his exercise with the tailed PorterCable oscillating tool and belly board.
IMG_5859.jpeg,
...and me making dust with the battery powered DeWalt. The Porter Cable wins every time.
IMG_5858.jpeg

Last edited: