More Scrap Boxes

glenn bradley

The plan is for a couple of hinge-lid boxes. I don't have any decent resaw capability right now so I am using pieces out of the shorts bin. I should have started taking pictures sooner. It was when I reached for my shop-made stops that I thought to start.
McLaren Box (1).jpg
You guys have seen these before. They do this:
McLaren Box (2).jpg
And this:
McLaren Box (3).jpg
A series of miter cuts gets me two continous grain sets of box parts.
McLaren Box (4).jpg
I use a 50T blade with a flush FTG raker to cut 1/8" x 1/8" grooves for the top, bottom, and some "rails" that will support an insert tray.
McLaren Box (5).jpg
Again, limited by resaw capability I am glad I hung on to so many scraps leftover from resawing years ago.
McLaren Box (6).jpg
I am veneering resaw scraps of oak to either side of a plywood substrate. Once the joinery is done only the oak should show so I don't need any trim for the edges.
The tops will be cut from a piece of poplar that I router-carved.
McLaren Box (7).jpg
I have used this same technique on cremation urns in the past. I stole the idea from whoever it was that made a bypass door cabinet using this technique on the door panels that I saw online years ago.

Hmm, I can't believe I didn't post a thread about these urns??? Maybe my Google-Fu is failing me? I'll just stick a picture in here for reference.
Dave-Urn (12).jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys. It's important to remember that all thee parts are made from this stuff. It's surprising what you can find if you dig a bit.
McLaren Box (11).jpg
Here's a rough assembly.
McLaren Box (8).jpg
The veneered ply gets a trip through the drum sander.
McLaren Box (9).jpg
At 180 grit.
McLaren Box (10).jpg
Finish sanded.
McLaren Box (12).jpg
I will mill a tongue on these that I managed not to get a good pic of. This calls for a very small round-over . . . and a different collet ;-)
McLaren Box (13).jpg
Oh, there's the tongues. Parts is parts.
McLaren Box (14).jpg
I was really hoping to have one of these in the clamps this evening. Life is trying to get in the way so if I'm not back tonight, I'll see you tomorrow.

Good job Glenn, it is curious to find out how depending on the projects one makes, the scraps generated are completely different. My scraps tend to be shorter and much thicker, which forces me to resaw them and glue to make bigger boards. (I'm not fond of making cutting boards)
Questions: If I've understood well, you are using the veneered ply for the bottom of the boxes. Am I right? The overall thickness of the sides is around 3/8"?

Correct on both Toni. (y) The tongue is positioned on the veneered ply to make sure the plywood edges are well hidden.

Last edited:
I got through the morning duties . . . I thought I was retired??? I glue up the boxes the same way I have seen people do it for decades. Masking tape on the inside to catch squeeze-out, packing tape on the outside to align and hold the corners. Here you can see that I trim the tape carefully to make sure it doesn't interfere with the top and bottom panels during assmebly. Just like any other glue up, a dry run tells me that I have a corner that needs a bit of trimming or that a bit of tape extends into the groove that must be dealt with or whatever.

If it doesn't go together easily when dry, it's not going to get better when you add the glue.

McLaren Box (15).jpg
There are many ways to clamp a box for glue up. For smaller boxes I use just the tape. This one is about 8" x 5" so I add a couple sets of these picture frame clamps. I have had good success with them as box clamps for many years.
McLaren Box (16).jpg
This design will cut the box in two at about 1" down from the top to create the top and bottom portions. The ledges for the insert tray will be added after the hinges so we'll get to that in a little while.

When I cut the box into the two parts I know I want the top to be 1". I just set up off of this and don't really care what the bottom measurement is. Notice: you always have your machine de-energized when you are using the cutter as a setup tool :).
McLaren Box (17).jpg
I want to cut through the sides but not much further.
McLaren Box (18).jpg
I used to use the almost cut through and finish with a handsaw method. If you whip up 3 of these you can skip that task.
McLaren Box (19).jpg
Make your first cut and tape one of these in place to hold the kerf in place.
McLaren Box (20).jpg
Etc.
McLaren Box (21).jpg
This lets you cut the box apart nice and clean and safe.
McLaren Box (22).jpg

McLaren Box (23).jpg
I am mixing woods to some degree more than I normally would but they’re scrap boxes (y) . Poplar would not be my choice for the top and I would have two main woods with the possibility of a third as the pull. I will burn up some old surface mount hinges from days gone by.

Last edited:
Sorry Glenn, but I am lost now. You mentioned that the inside grooves or "rails" were to hold a small tray of sorts, isn't it?, So if you already glued the box, how are you going to hold the tray without putting some inserts on the rails unless they do not reach the ends, or do you will put some mitered insert on each corner, leaving the rest of the groove open? Maybe I am thinking ahead, so I'll wait for the next installment of this thread.

I like the inserts to cut the lid of the box, we commented this issue when we met at Caro'ls place.

If it is a full tray insert I will use extra large miter "keys" that extend into the box and provide support at each corner. This is a smaller tray that may end up anywhere from left to right so, runners rather than corner supports. The long runners will run into the corners. To make this fit I do the following:
Trim the piece to full length.
McLaren Box (24).jpg
Knock one inside corner off at a small angle.
McLaren Box (25).jpg
This lets me fully insert the square end of the runner.
McLaren Box (26).jpg
And swing the angled end in for a good fit.
McLaren Box (27).jpg
The short runners will butt into the short side grooves and are probably not even necessary.
McLaren Box (28).jpg
Omitting them would have taken just a little more planning. The short runners will hide my shortsightedness ;-)

Last edited:
Ping... just in case this got overlooked earlier in the thread. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry about that. I do it with 2 or 3 sizes of core box bits in a Bosch Colt router. I raise and lower the router to create the undulating forms and overlap them as I find visually appealing. I have definitely had patterns that were working only to be trashed by a little too much enthusiasm :D.

While the guys are out doing the finishing work on the slab I did a few things to keep me from bugging the heck out of them . . .

I cut a couple of free form shapes out of the scrap from the tops, thin them, and shape them till I'm happy. I drill two small holes to accept two small metal pegs (bits of stainless bailing wire).
McLaren Box (29).jpg
I put a piece of tape in the approximate location that I want the pull. When I am happy with the position I press the wire spikes into the tape which leaves me guide marks. I drill receiver holes at these marks, remove the tape and epoxy the pulls on.
McLaren Box (30).jpg
I have done pulls like this for years with larger wire or even 1/8" dowels depending on the scale. I haven't lost one yet.
I pick an angle that will allow the top to easily stay open.
McLaren Box (31).jpg
I drill two small holes for the brass screws that will hold the chain-stop.
McLaren Box (32).jpg
And they end up like so.
McLaren Box (33).jpgMcLaren Box (34).jpgMcLaren Box (35).jpg

Last edited: