Mortising machine tips

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I bought the mortiser that Sayer was selling a few weeks ago. Using my FILs mortiser of the same design was always a chore to make cuts with, and the bit screeched as the machine was running. Well, found that reading the manual helps. :huh: :D

Having the bit 1/16” to 3/16” below the chisel makes a world of difference in the ease of cutting and eliminated the screeching noise.
F49E27E4-DF95-4F59-9B12-C18367D6945D.jpeg

The other thing was a mention of the extra 3 holes where the mortiser mounts to the base, they are for reversing the base and having more clearance for larger material.
993786BA-1BBD-4874-8C53-CFDE4B9C9DEB.jpeg

On my machine, I would put a penny between the chisel and the machine, raise the bit and chisel up, tighten the bit, then remove the penny and put the chisel up against the machine and tighten that.

Not sure if that makes sense, but I'm sure I read it somewhere.

On my machine, I would put a penny between the chisel and the machine, raise the bit and chisel up, tighten the bit, then remove the penny and put the chisel up against the machine and tighten that.

Not sure if that makes sense, but I'm sure I read it somewhere.
That's what I did with mine, too.
Btw, if you're using the 1/4" bit, set it a little bit closer, and take a slower cut. The flutes on that small bit are pretty thin, and the bit breaks easily. DAMHIKT!