Mother of pearl question

Do you have a downcut bit.

It will cut without chipping the top edge.

It mat not be popular in a mostly woodworking forum, but is very common on a CNC forum.

edit in
Hmm - may not be the best idea on a handheld router.

In an UPCUT bit like most are(in std woodworking) will pull UP on the wood and pull the router towards the wood.
A DOWNCUT bit will push down on the wood and push the router away from the wood.
GREAT cutter - slices downward so it shears the top much better.

On a tiny cut like 1/8 the force would be really small.

Last edited:
Ohhh that is AWESOME

The Copper is going to look so cool.

I am going to continue on my test with the stuff Ryan spoke about. It's a good lesson to learn. I ran it through the drum sander and it cleaned up really fast. Gonna let it set for a week then polish it down to a gloss glassy surface.

Then I am gonna stain it again. I'll do a little video on the test.

Sounds like fun to me.

Well, scrap the copper idea. I ordered what was supposed to be 8 gauge square copper wire. Advertised as 1/8" (0.125") square ( 8 gauge should be 0.1285") and it arrived 0.1040" - considerably undersized. It 'floats in the groove I made for it. (an aside, one more reason you never work the wood before the hardware arrives :bang: )

On to other solutions!

Well, scrap the copper idea. I ordered what was supposed to be 8 gauge square copper wire. Advertised as 1/8" (0.125") square ( 8 gauge should be 0.1285") and it arrived 0.1040" - considerably undersized. It 'floats in the groove I made for it. (an aside, one more reason you never work the wood before the hardware arrives :bang: )

On to other solutions!

Maybe they sent the wrong one? Did you check with them? Give them your cut size and see if they have another size to fit that dimension?

Edited to add: When something like that happens I get angry and the above questions NEVER enter my mind. So just put them out there as I am somewhat level headed at the moment. Now if only I could remember this advice in time of need!

Maybe they sent the wrong one? Did you check with them? Give them your cut size and see if they have another size to fit that dimension?

Edited to add: When something like that happens I get angry and the above questions NEVER enter my mind. So just put them out there as I am somewhat level headed at the moment. Now if only I could remember this advice in time of need!
Actually, I immediately contacted the vendor. I confirmed the advertised dimensions against what I received (7' total and I took about 12 measurements to make sure I was not getting a bad reading in one place) and asked if this was expected and could I return them. I got a response within the hour - a return authorization and nothing more. It would appear that they know it is undersized and did not want to argue the point. Since they sell primarily to the jewelry trade my guess is that the dimensions are not as critical to the majority of their customer as they will work the metal into another shape anyway. If I were a conspiracy theorist I would say that, since it is sold by the foot, they deliberately draw it out just a little to yield longer wire and make more money. If I believed in conspiracies. ;)

I found this table: https://www.nehringwire.com/solid-wire-gauge-table/

I found this source: https://www.grainger.com/product/SOUTHWIRE-Bare-Copper-Grounding-Wire-4WZU8

Friends with any electricians that might have a piece long enough and scrap to them?
Electrical supply houses nearby?
Can be round and sand or grind it flat on top?
Had not thought of grounding wire! I can buy a 15' piece of 6 gauge locally for $15. I think that requires further investigation!

Had not thought of grounding wire! I can buy a 15' piece of 6 gauge locally for $15. I think that requires further investigation!

It's half-hard so take the pieces you need and heat them to where they glow a dull red in a not-to-bright-place and then let it cool. I haven't had great luck with quenching to anneal. The main problem with this approach is to get the width "right" after hammering it flat, I'm sure there's a trick but I haven't mastered it.

Another thought.. I wonder if simulated ivory sheets cut to width would work?

If you were willing to go up to 1/4" copper rod there is a fair bit of stuff sold as "1/4 square copper rod" which would obviously be harder to bend but doable..