Mr. Wile E. Coyote

Paul Douglass

CAUTION Vaughn, do not show this to your Road Runners!
Finished another cartoon Character. On the scroll saw forum we were discussing air brushes and Harbor Freight has a cheapie $10 one that gets pretty good reviews. So I decided to give one a try. I used just acrylic hobby paints. the hardest part was getting them mixed to the right consistency. I wanted to use one because I can paint in my shop and no odor, no real mess. It worked pretty good. I only painted the larger parts with it, the little parts are with a brush.

Attachments

• wile e coyote.jpg
    wile e coyote.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Actually, I can't tell apart what is the scroll saw work, the black outline, the colored areas or what. Please don't get me wrong, I guess that has some thickness or is it that you cut all the different areas (outline, dark brown, light brown and so forth) painted them with an airbrush (or not) and put them together getting a flat picture in the same way as if it was a wood inlay?

Actually, I can't tell apart what is the scroll saw work, the black outline, the colored areas or what. Please don't get me wrong, I guess that has some thickness or is it that you cut all the different areas (outline, dark brown, light brown and so forth) painted them with an airbrush (or not) and put them together getting a flat picture in the same way as if it was a wood inlay?
Exactly. cut all the pieces, paint them and reassemble. Inlay is probably a better word for it. I have a book that discribes it, and it says segmented, Only difference I can tell is inlay the pieces art cut at a slight angle so they fit real tight and will fit flush with the board. If you want flush with inlay you have to sand it flush. The pieces of segmanting are cut at 90° with a real small blade and assembled like a puzzle then glued to a backer.

Exactly. cut all the pieces, paint them and reassemble. Inlay is probably a better word for it. I have a book that discribes it, and it says segmented, Only difference I can tell is inlay the pieces art cut at a slight angle so they fit real tight and will fit flush with the board. If you want flush with inlay you have to sand it flush. The pieces of segmanting are cut at 90° with a real small blade and assembled like a puzzle then glued to a backer.
Thanks for the explanation Paul. Now I understand better.