music threw puter question

larry merlau

i lost puter in shop, it was connected to a stereo setup which played a cd or streamed music. can i just plug in the micro phone wire to my laptop to see if the stereo is fried or not.

The headphone output of your laptop will send signal to your target. I tend to use the AUX or CD input on the stereo. Usually a mini-phone plug for the laptop and a pair of RCA connectors for the stereo.

Last edited:
Your computer likely has a 3.5 mm stereo headphone jack. Your amplifier could have that or RCA jacks, or most anything for the input. You can plug the cable from your computer headphone jack into either a microphone or CD player input on your amplifier. I'm doing that now, with the CD/DVD player in my laptop playing background music out through the headphone jack of my laptop and into the CD player input on my amplifier. I have no idea what type of connector that you have on your amplifier, so you will need to determine this yourself. Shielded wire is not necessary, but it will work fine if that's what you have. I have several windows open on my pc and doing photo editing, but behind them is the software window that's open and playing the music. As long as I don't close all the program windows, the music will keep playing for me, until I stop it.

Right now I'm listening to " Love Songs" a new CD just produced by Marta Z, a fantastic violinist with an electronic violin. She has many single song videos on YouTube that she made from her balcony in Long Beach, Ca during COVID last year, to entertain her neighbors. She does acrobatic shows, even hanging upside down while playing this violin. I never appreciated violin music, until I listened to her YouTube videos.

Charley

Last edited:
Just hook it up like this. Easy-peasy.

20190314_092545.jpg

Not entirely on the original subject, but thought I'd toss this into the mix.

A few weeks ago, I added this little amplifier to my 'shop tool' lineup. I've had most of our CD collection on our PCs for several years, playing through a PC speaker system when I wanted some more noise in my shop. I've also had an excellent pair of Sony stereo speakers hanging on my shop wall but no amp to drive them because I was too cheap to buy one. The amp I found this time around is only $40 and has Bluetooth interface. Now, I can play our CD collection through a great pair of speakers and rattle my shop window for sure!

I assume you mead a head phone, a micro phone wouldn't tell you anything and yes you can plug a head phone into it if the plug matches.
Some of the new laptops have the 4 position headphone/mic jack, not a plug for each. The ear buds have a mic on them and the plug end looks like this one.
945_1_2.jpg

However the 3 position plug works fine as stereo output, the mic is just connected to the ground section of the male plug, which the circuit is designed for dealing with.
973_1_1_2.jpg

Larry, as Glenn mentioned use a plug like the one just above here with the 3 sections going to two RCA plugs on the other end. Like this one.
55971.jpg

Last edited:
Not entirely on the original subject, but thought I'd toss this into the mix.

A few weeks ago, I added this little amplifier to my 'shop tool' lineup. I've had most of our CD collection on our PCs for several years, playing through a PC speaker system when I wanted some more noise in my shop. I've also had an excellent pair of Sony stereo speakers hanging on my shop wall but no amp to drive them because I was too cheap to buy one. The amp I found this time around is only $40 and has Bluetooth interface. Now, I can play our CD collection through a great pair of speakers and rattle my shop window for sure!
Wow, that's a cool-looking little unit. Larry would need the upgraded version with mic inputs so he can sing karaoke in the shop while he's waiting for the glue to dry. :D

this what i had and i plugged it into my laptop and connected the net to laptop with hard wire. got pandora to work without the music jack in but not on the amp?

Attachments

• music jack.jpg
    music jack.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 6
i can hear sound threw laptop with headphones, but nothing on the amp. wife took off with the puter before i could check it out my way.. with a desktop puter

Wow, Tom must have the company vehicle next week!!! (sarcastic pun towards a mod)
Not really much of a perk these days. Things have been a little tight here at Family Woodworking World Headquarters, so the "company vehicle" has been downgraded to a 1978 Datsun pickup with bald tires. But at least it's the King Cab edition. :D