My Shop Roof Rebuild

Yep, buttoned up is good! :thumb:

Looks like you will have one heck of a wiener roast at some time :D

Now that the roof is on, I wonder if all your handy (YOUNG) helpers are going to go back to whatever they were doing?

Sure would be nice to have some of them young guys there to put that ceiling up :rolleyes: ;) :D

You are sure making a lot of headway! :thumb:

awesome. so glad things are slowly returning towards normal for you steve. it will be good to get back into the shop and start building things again. i am sure your to do list has not shrunken while you were busy fixin the shop. keep it up. it's looking good

chris

Glaad to see your about to go back into the wood working bussiness rather than the construction cleanup bussiness. :thumb:
Reg

Reg. The morning it happenened, it took me about an hour of massive amounts of coffee to get up the nerve to go out and look.
And I had a thought cross my mind while sitting at the kitchen table.
My thought was to go get a job and forget about being in business.
That thought lastest about 10 seconds. I decided to struggle through and rebuild. I spent many years and a lot of money getting it where it was.

Great News, Steve. Now DON't be Doin' no more of them "Snow Dances", ya hear??:rolleyes: :D I been a thinkin', that maybe you could do like they do when they tear down sumpin' like a football stadium, or the Berlin wall, or tha like. Ya know they cut up all that scrap inta little pieces and sell em off as souvineers, so maybe u can do tha same, 'n sell em on E-bay and pay fer all O that shop redo.;) :D
Norman

Norman. I hate snow dances:eek: :huh: :D

glad you`re dry steve! did your materials make it?...
tod.

I'm going today to price osb for the ceiling. Get light fixtures, etc.

Steve

I suspect that grins have been a bit thin on the ground in the last couple of weeks out your way - just want to let you know that seeing these pics of your shop reroofed has me smiling on a grim day over here. really good to see!!

Steve

I suspect that grins have been a bit thin on the ground in the last couple of weeks out your way - just want to let you know that seeing these pics of your shop reroofed has me smiling on a grim day over here. really good to see!!

Thanks Ian.
Yes. I am doing better here now that it is covered.:thumb:
I have to concentrate now on getting the insides back in shape, as I was behind in my work before all this happened.

I have wall runs, floor runs under concrete, and only about 4 overhead electrical runs that dropped down to machinery. So it won't be too bad to get it back in shape.
I was planning on moving my 2500# monster copy lathe to the other side of the shop. Now that the overhead 3-phase is toast, I'm going to move it, and run new wiring for it.
Wiring will probably take me a day I guess. The time killer will be putting up 17 new 8' lights.

Thankfully 99% of my dust collection is under concrete. Damage was limited to stub hoses and fittings.

That is a good thing, all of my wiring is above and then down the walls. I'd have a complete spagetti bowl if that happened in my shop. Those lights will go up faster than you think. Just imagine not having any dust clinging to your light bulbs again. You will be able to see so much better:thumb: I had to replace the bulbs over my workbench this weekend and when I put the clean bulbs in it was like somebody turned on the lights.:rofl:

what was i seein?

Thanks Ian.
Yes. I am doing better here now that it is covered.:thumb:
I have to concentrate now on getting the insides back in shape, as I was behind in my work before all this happened.

you mean that picture you showed us of you was the backside veiw:eek: here i tough yu were showin us the goodside:)

Steve,

Glad to see that you have made significant progress and are in the dry. Wish I were closer so that I could lend a hand, but then Marty would get jealous. Keep up the great work and a big round of applause for your team on a job WELL done.

Thanks all.

Not much of an update today.
Wife and youngest son spent the better part of the day tearing down broken trusses and salvaging what they could, and a huge pile of kindling for the woodstoves.
I spent over half the day between HD and Lowes trying to get the best deals with contractor quotes.
Came home with 17 new T-8 four bulb 8' fixtures, and a pot of gold that looks strangely like wiring:huh:

.... Yes, I know what you mean Steve. Copper has double in price and then some, it might as well be gold :eek:.

Thanks all.

Not much of an update today.
Wife and youngest son spent the better part of the day tearing down broken trusses and salvaging what they could, and a huge pile of kindling for the woodstoves.
I spent over half the day between HD and Lowes trying to get the best deals with contractor quotes.
Came home with 17 new T-8 four bulb 8' fixtures, and a pot of gold that looks strangely like wiring:huh:

Yea the last time I put a roll of 10g in my buggy at HD I was shocked when I looked at the total. $100 + But I was running a bunch of 220v 30amp circuits so I paid the bill...

Not sure if it has gone up a bunch, but it is really expensive.

Glad you are making progress, there are a lot of us out here pulling for ya!!!!

You can really see a man's character in stressful times. You and your family have are a great example of what has made this country great.

Thanks for taking the time to post. As usual we have all learned alot and not just about construction.

God Bless.

After price shopping and getting a contractor price at Lowes, this is what I came up with.
I remember when a roll of 12-2 was something like 25.00

250' 12-2 romex $61.00
250' 10-2 romex $142.00 :eek:

500' roll of stranded THHN $100.00

Light fixtures price wasn't too bad.

17 new 8' 4-bulb T-8's after discount were $40 and some change.

Bulbs at Lowes were $31.00 for a box of 30

And the strange one here is---
Same bulbs at HD, box of 24, were $188.00 EACH BOX:eek:

Now that really had me scratching my head. Needless to say, I bought the bulbs at Lowes, plus another spare box.

Sounds like one of those Lowes mismarked items I see from time to time. Like the 12" strap hinges I got for my shop doors. $3. something each. 6" were $9.something each! I even asked them if it was right. they said it was. My mail order bulbs were $50.00 a case of 25 for T-8 CR 8600 4' bulbs, and it was the best price I could find anywhere. HD was 2 bulbs for 7.00, and no idea what the CR rating was. Seems like the 8' 4 bulb units I got from HD were 42.00 and change each. Jim.

I heard on the news that there are miles and miles of copper wire that came down in the recent storm, and it was all cut and stolen by scrap collectors, as the price of copper right now is stupid expensive!

Good to hear you are moving forward Steve!

Cheers!