My shop

being nosey here:)

first what brand is the edge sander your running? and what is the green machine at the end of the jointer??/ you seem to have all the bases coverd well:thumb::thumb:

first what brand is the edge sander your running? and what is the green machine at the end of the jointer??/ you seem to have all the bases coverd well:thumb::thumb:

Ritter edge sander. Not the greatest machine, but its reliable enough, and has a fairly long platen on it. I bought it used, I think I paid about $1100. Doesn't oscillate or anything fancy, I'm not sure what I'll replace it with. Whirlwind went belly up, and they had an awesome oscillating edge sander, with an 8" belt, and it was really long. New I think they ran over $10k.

The green machine is a Castle Machine. It cuts pocket holes. It uses a pair of routers. One cuts the pocket, the other drills the hole from the leading edge back to the pocket. Throw the piece in, hit the foot switch, and its done in about a second. Really shallow angle, and you can set it up for using 1-1/2" screws so they won't poke through 3/4" material, (like plywood/plywood 90* to one another) I don't know how I ever functioned with out it. Kreg jigs work, but thats about all I can say for them. I didn't get the castle maching until 2007, so there was plenty of years of doing pocket holes with a corded drill. http://www.castleusa.com/

As far as bases covered, well..... I'm outta room. I've got about 1400 sq/ft of usable space and I've got too much stuff in there now. I was hoping to build a new 4600 sq/ft shop towards the end of 08', but that didn't happen obviously. I plan on adding at least another 5 shapers, I need a door clamp, a Striebig panel saw, an automatic dovetailer, and a straight line rip saw, plus a coupe more table saws. Plus I'd like to ditch the Chi-Com made widebelt I've got for a 43" dual head Timesavers model. It'd be nice just to take everything off of the mobile bases, but at the moment it is a neccessary evil. I picked up a older Rockwell shaper last year at an auction, and I still haven't even plugged it in to see if it works. I bought it with the intent of using it for notching out the bottom of dovetail drawers for Blum undermount slides, but I don't have anywhere to put it, so its stuffed in a corner collecting dust under the racking.

Last edited:
Nice shop. You must get some great deals on machines, cause most of yours look brand new. I didn't see any benches or tables, where do you assembly your projects?

I you need some more room you can just send a few of those machines to me.:D I'll even pay shipping...

I didn't see any benches or tables, where do you assembly your projects?

-Box's get assembled on horses that are about knee high in front of where the Derda chop saw is. I think its a much easier was to do things. They're always the perfect size as you just position them under the partitions and kick them out as needed.
-Drawers and doors get assembled on one of the outfeed tables for one of the saws. Dovetail drawers, when I get them right anyway, usually are just a matter of pounding them together and there isn't any clamping needed, so not much space required.
-Face frames go together on the big angled assembly table.

I bought The Powermatic 27S shaper, the PM66 tablesaw, PM shaper, PM jointer, and the Dust collector new. The rest I bought used, and yes, I've gotten some killer deals. For a while there cabinet shops were dropping like flies and there was a lot of auctions of bank owned equipment, thats where about half of the used stuff came from.

Last edited:
The floor was so clean it squeaked that's :bonkers:

Amazing shop, the flow seems really well thought out, and it looks like a really great workplace. Thanks for sharing!

Also sweet CNC router :cool:

The floor was so clean is squeaked that's :bonkers:

Amazing shop, the flow seems really well thought out, and it looks like a really great workplace. Thanks for sharing!

Also sweet CNC router :cool:

I've never understood the dirty shop mentality. Clean is so much easier.

That router is an absolute animal.

I've never understood the dirty shop mentality. Clean is so much easier.

I think it's also a lot easier when you have a lot of free space to clean around and space for the workflow laid out nicely. I'm certainly more than a little guilty about having a dirty shop, but totally agree with your sentiment. Part of the problem is I'm kind of stacked in on top myself with to many disparate projects going on. It's also more challenging when you're sneaking in twenty minutes here and there. A focused and streamlined workspace like yours though would definitely be the way to go for a production shop though. I really liked seeing how you have isolated the workspaces and have setup the workflow around them, it seems like a really well thought out pipeline!

Thanks for the tour Karl! That is quite a well thought out shop. I remember you saying that you didn't keep much scrap around at one point, kind of took on that mentality myself at one point. I still have a scrap bin, I just don't save every little cut-off like I used to.

That's a great-looking setup, Karl. :thumb: Thanks for sharing it, and don't be a stranger. You're welcome to drop in here anytime you'd like.

Very nice shop Karl, I would love to have that kind of space.
On a side note, I am only able to view the YouTube tour of the shop, I can’t access any of the other images. Part of that may be due to the fact I recently deactivated my Facebook account and I see some of the photos are linked to Facebook. The others appear to be stored on MySpace? Just curious if anyone else had the same issue.

I came back to make sure I had said thank you enough for posting this. I realize I never posted a thank you at all! So, again, thank you for posting this Karl. It is great to get a look at your end of the spectrum from my little home shop. So many things are different but, so many things are the same; keep you work area clean and organized, keep your tools where they belong and safety, safety, safety.