Narra a thing to waste

Mike Stafford

Narra is an exotic in the same family (Pterocarpus) as padauk. Whereas padauk is reddish brown narra comes in golden brown and red varieties. When the red narra is discovered in the burl form it changes name to become amboyna burl.

I had to stop turning padauk as it had an astringent effect on my throat which means it could have caused my airways to close and that is never a good thing. So far narra has not had a similar effect.

The wood for these two pieces came from a piece of a stick I had set aside because of a large gash that messed up a significant amount of the wood in that stick. Once I cut away the damaged area I had enough for these two pieces.

The first is inspired by a Japanese bowl that I find attractive. This little bowl is 2 1/2" tall and 3 3/4" in diameter. This bowl is turned in the traditional form with a hollowed foot so that it can be taken in hand used for eating and/or drinking depending on it contents. Traditionally tableware was finished with multiple coats of urushi lacquer derived from the sap of a plant similar to poison ivy. The sap was boiled to destroy its toxicity and then applied in many coats to ensure a resistant and long lasting finish. My bowl has three coats of brushing lacquer.

IMG_8895 mod (Custom).jpg IMG_8890 mod (Custom).jpg

The second piece salvaged from the damaged stick yielded enough wood to make a box. This box is 2 1/4" tall and 3 3/4" in diameter. The end grain was interesting but I decided to dress it up a bit with a piece of chattered African ebony.

IMG_8899 mod (Custom).jpg IMG_8901 mod (Custom).jpg

Very nice, Mike. Both of these pieces have your trademark look....clean and about as close to perfect as it comes. :clap: I can see the grain similarity between narra and padauk. The grain also has sort of a mahogany look to it as well, just more yellow. How is it to turn? Is it as hard as amboyna burl?

Very nice, Mike. Both of these pieces have your trademark look....clean and about as close to perfect as it comes. :clap: I can see the grain similarity between narra and padauk. The grain also has sort of a mahogany look to it as well, just more yellow. How is it to turn? Is it as hard as amboyna burl?
I think it turns great but I much prefer turning really hard woods. It has a little silica in it but no so much that it readily dulls the tools. I has enough structural integrity that you can turn things down to a 16th like the walls of the bowl. It finishes well.

I love turning the red narra when I can find it. It is very predictable and seems to hold its color for a much longer time than the padauk. And it does not affect my breathing like padauk. Here is a turning in red narra.

IMG_4100 mod resz (Small).jpg

Thank you! You are too kind.

I think it turns great but I much prefer turning really hard woods. It has a little silica in it but no so much that it readily dulls the tools. I has enough structural integrity that you can turn things down to a 16th like the walls of the bowl. It finishes well.

I love turning the red narra when I can find it. It is very predictable and seems to hold its color for a much longer time than the padauk. And it does not affect my breathing like padauk. Here is a turning in red narra.

View attachment 120980

Thank you! You are too kind.
A red narra box....

IMG_1841 modified.JPG