Neander Stools

Bob, I'm a glutton for punishment I guess.

Just thought black would go nicely with the blue and green tape. We wanted to try it that way. Not sure if #2 will be ebonized or not. With ebonizing, the grain still shows, though it is hard to see in the photos.

I think you were right. I like the looks of the dark frame with the blue and green tape.

Just caught up with the whole thread and that is a wonderful stool Ken. :thumb:Well done to you and your missus.:clap: I think the weaving is excellent and color choice very good.

Personally i like the version that existed before the sanding and fine finishing. Probably about three pics back. It showed tool marks etc. Got me thinking my grandchildren might be paying big bucks one day for a Werner original hand made stool rare special edition. I aint a fan of coloring or painting wood but like what you did.

When i see one of your pieces made from raw oak it makes me think we woodworkers remove a load of character from the work when it gets the finish to factory spec treatment.

The more i look at antique pieces the more one can see they were not made on a cnc machine but by hand. :thumb:

Thanks folks for all the kind words.
Rob, the tool marks still show, but not so much in the photo. To me, ebonizing is a way of adding color [or to the purists, black is the absence of color] without the uniformity of painting.

One detail I didn't mention is that between the top and bottom layers of the seat is a sewn envelope which holds the stuffing for the seat. Nowadays, a piece of foam rubber goes there, but on ours, we stuffed it with spokeshave shavings, nice springy spirals.