Neat and clean shops

Chuck Ellis

Every one is showing off their shops, all neat and clean... I have no idea what that would look like at my place... the last time my shop was neat or clean was probably the day
it was finished and ready for me to move in... 0403201211.jpg0403201211.jpg
the back wall with the wood racks.
0403201211a.jpg The lathe with residue from last week.
0403201211b.jpg
towards my work area.
0403201211c.jpg

Corner to right of doorway, chop saw under towel to keep some of the dust off, little Ryobi band saw under neath.
0403201211d.jpg

Ok, I'm ready to show part of my shop. Never thought I'd see that day! You have to promise me though that you'll not notice the piled up stuff on the counter...I'm getting there slowly.shop 4-3.jpg

Both look a lot cleaner than mine right now. Where the cnc currently sits for the build is about the only area I can move around in. I did get the last of the wood pellets I bought off the pallet in the back and off to the house, So have a new place to start setting up the cnc once I start getting it painted. I have an area where the kids stuff was/is stored that I'm planning to build some shelves in and will get most of what is left up off the floor back there.

Those shops look perfectly fine to me. I don't understand how all the featured shops in magazines all look they have never seen a piece of wood. My shop isn't worthy of such exposure, but it's never that clean anyway.

I worked on mine all day today... didn't get to that counter (actually made it worse)...but here's the part of the shop that I haven't shown yet. Even finally got the electric drop to the table saw done... first time any of my table saws has ever had a dedicated outlet.
Next up is cleaning off the RAS and replacing the table...and that counter.

Attachments

• shop 4-5c.jpg
    shop 4-5c.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 32
  • shop 4-5 a.jpg
    shop 4-5 a.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 32
  • shop 4-5.jpg
    shop 4-5.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 32
OK Ken, that's just showing off, lol. :rofl:

Your only saving grace is the photo that shows the infamous counter. I'm envious of the open floor space you have in there. My shop is the epitome of 10 pounds of stuff in a 5 pound box. :D

The big question from my family is, "is that picture Photoshopped?" I just hope I can keep it somewhere near clean for some long period of time. Hard to do because I'm basically a lazy slob, but i will admit that I like that floor space. Prior to the cleaning it looked like someone had dropped some power tools in the middle of the town dump. In fact, I told the guys at work that I had tripped and fallen in there and my only co-worker who had seen the shop said, "well, at least you didn't hit the floor."

Ken,
That looks to be about twice the space I play in... can't say work 'cause it's only play for me.... my shop is 12x24 = 288 square feet. Usually need to step outside if I need to change my mind about something.

Ken,
That looks to be about twice the space I play in... can't say work 'cause it's only play for me.... my shop is 12x24 = 288 square feet. Usually need to step outside if I need to change my mind about something.

mine is 12x27...so only 36 sf bigger. Not too many days ago it looked more like it was 8x8 with all the clutter in there.

I've worked in dirty, I've worked in clean. I much prefer clean.

Attachments

• 20200225_075234.jpg
    20200225_075234.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200124_102500.jpg
    20200124_102500.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 20190603_150448.jpg
    20190603_150448.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 19
I like having mine clean... but I'll admit to always letting myself fall into the "I don't have time to put everything away right now" trap. Trying to control that tendency and keep it as clean as I can., now that it is clean.

I put things away as soon as done using them, otherwise, I loose half an hour looking for something I just had in my hand and laid down where I was working... hardest thing for me to keep up with is the tape measure... everytime I lay it down, it hides somewhere and I have to play hide and seek with it.

I put things away as soon as done using them, otherwise, I loose half an hour looking for something I just had in my hand and laid down where I was working... hardest thing for me to keep up with is the tape measure... everytime I lay it down, it hides somewhere and I have to play hide and seek with it.
Our own fount of woodworking wisdom (yes Glenn, you) says, "don't put it down, put it away".

As for tape measures - I keep three in the shop and they like to gang up on me and all hide at the same time in different places.

Yup tapes at all necessary measuring spots. Usually just hook my main tape to my pocket. Had trouble not that long ago with measurements and finally one tape was 1/8 in off from the others.
Now I try to use the same measuring device all the way through a project. Less chance of miss measuring.
David