Need Longer Thickness Caliper

Mike Turner

I love these calipers from Lee Valley but I sometimes need them to be longer. Anyone have a good idea how to make something like them longer? I make flutes and I bore the long hole for the flute sound chamber.Occasionally one will drift a little and if I know this I can allow more wood to be left there when finish turning it...just maybe not turning the flute as thin. Anyhow any ideas would be appreciated . I have the longer set.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/Wood/page.aspx?p=43201&cat=1,43513,43550&ap=1

Just out of curiosity, how long are the flutes, and what is the diameter of the bore? You can create a caliper of just about any length using rigid metal rod bent into an elongated U shape, with a very short L bent on each end of the rod to create a known distance between the legs. You keep the leg of the inserted end of the rod in contact with the inner surface of the bore hole and measure the difference between the outer surface of the material and the outer leg of the rod to determine either actual or relative thickness. Hope this was understandable.

Last edited:
Yes that is understandable....I have some rods I can make this from.The longest possible one I make is 34" with a bore of 1" (don't many this size) but most are 30" with a 7/8" bore..the most popular one. Thanks!! Im just throwing this out there so to speak to find the best way I can do this.It seems like the way you said will work.

The 34" ones are the longest and the average person has to use a special positioning of the hands called pipers grip. Average ones are 25" to 30".Ill get some pictures together and post them.