Nesting Crosses

Last Saturday my oldest daughter got married. She ask me to build a set of Nesting Crosses for the occasion. They take the place of the Unity candles from back when the wife and I got married.

Nesting Crosses

I used Butternut for the outside cross, the backer board was 1/4" ply covered with material that matched the dress. The inside cross was Curly Maple. The finish was OSMO. I changed to one dovetail at each corner and used nails instead of wooden pegs. The hammer that was used was one given to me on my 10th birthday.

IMG_20200221_191312.jpg

IMG_20200222_145542.jpg

IMG_20200222_145545.jpg

I didn't go to the supplied address, so maybe this was answered there. Did they nail the cross in at the ceremony? I had never heard of nesting crosses before. Very nice project and wonderful execution. Congratulations to both families for the additional member. Both of our girls got married outside, so no candles used. The nesting crosses would have been a great idea. Great job Steve.

I didn't go to the supplied address, so maybe this was answered there. Did they nail the cross in at the ceremony? I had never heard of nesting crosses before. Very nice project and wonderful execution. Congratulations to both families for the additional member. Both of our girls got married outside, so no candles used. The nesting crosses would have been a great idea. Great job Steve.

Yes, they actually got 3 nails. One by bride, one by groom and one by pastor.

I had never heard of them either until Hayleigh showed them to me.

Oh, the hammer really brings back memories. Looks exactly like the hammer my mom kept under the sink for any and all home repairs, closing paint cans, etc. Sadly it burnt up in their house fire years ago, but man it had a twin in Northern Indiana for years!

Congratulations to the newly Weds. That cross will be a gorgeous reminderr for the rest of there lives.
Very beautiful job. I think I will try this idea. Making small crosses is another one of my to do list.
David

Well congratulations to all again. Wonderful creation by you to be in their home. I've got two son in laws that go to work every day and love my daughters and their children. I am blessed. I pray the same for you and your family.

The hammer was my very first at the age of 10 or so. Last night the newly married couple did some online shopping. They bought 2 breed heifers to be delivered this week sometime. Priorities are right so far.