New Beginnings - A shop story

more steps to self employment

1. met with my cpa and laid everything out

2. applied for a federal tax id number

3. got my parish (county) occupational license

4. called for a qoute on general liability and workmans comp insurance.

5. gave my 2 weeks notice, last day at work is Feb 22nd.

6. shop building got delivered

7. metting with dirt contractor today to organize prep work for foundation

things are coming along nicely. can't wait to only have one job and not have to be away from the wife so much in the evenings and weekends.

should have some updated pics of the shop site and the stack of materials that await me.

thanks for lookin
chris

Woo hoo Chris! Major steps in the right direction!

I'll warn you ahead of time, be firmly seated when you get your quotes back on insurance. I also keeled over when I got mine!!! :eek:

Can't wait to see the (almost) shop pictures start flowing...;)

Congrats!
- Marty -

thanks marty...i am very excited myself. somehow i have to stay motivated to finish up unfinished projects at work. very very tough.

here are the pics you asked for. this is the site for my shop.

shopsite.JPG

shopsite2.JPG

i met with the dirt contractor as planned. per my surveyors mark for the flood elevation, we only need to add 3" of dirt. the plan is to cut out the first 4" of dirt and all grass roots. then to backfill with approx 6" of "batcher dirt" (basically a sand/soil mix) this will be compacted with a dozer. then i will have the foundations guys come in and set the forms for the concrete with 2x12s, then we will fill 8" of the form with sand or batcher i can't remember and then dig the footings. i am basically just going along with what he tells me, he is the professional when it comes to dirt. he averages 97-98% compaction on all of his house pads that he does, so i trust him.

this will place me approx 12" above the required parish elevation. which is another 12" above the "100 year flood plain" which means that is the worst flood they assume we could or have ever had.

then concrete will be poured and finished. i am going to use the same crew that did dad's shop, they are nice guys and they did a great job.

so, i am going to mark out the area this weekend for the dirt guy and he is going to bring the dirt in about a week, he's waiting for the price to drop a little. everything is so high right now around here.

more pics of the material in the next post

thanks
chris

the building has landed

well here is a few weeks worth of my afternoons and weekends just waiting to be put together. i figure it will take at least that long. the basic framing will go up in a day, then it will slow down because i won't have as much help.

what you are looking at are the trusses (8 of them) stacked on top of each other, of course the sheeting, light sand color for the walls and a galvalume for the roof (a painted coating that looks like galvanized roofing, this is meant to match the roof on our future house), also the 6"x12' studs, 6" baseplates, and various door frames precut ready for assembly. those really long bundles of congested looking metal are what they call hat channel because it is shaped like a top hat i guess. who knows. those are what give the building it's rigidity. they are also one of the most time consuming parts of construction.

materials2.JPG

materials.JPG

shopsite3.JPG

i can't wait for this project to get rolling, to finally have a shop that is mine is a dream come true.

thanks for watchin
chris