New CNC build.

Don Baer

Staff member
OK time to stop designing and get to building.

NEW CNC.jpg

Today I was able in spite of a large list of projects, sneak in a day of shop time and made great progress. I didn't bother taking picture of every painful step, I was too busy enjoying my self with the build. I know I wont be able to do much on it for another few weeks but it was great to get done what I got done. I have to fully assemble the machine to make sure I am not missing any pieces and in order to do that I need a base since in my shop I don't have any spare room. So here is what I got done today.

Attachments

• 20200209_162318.jpg
    20200209_162318.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 20200209_162353.jpg
    20200209_162353.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 20200209_163408.jpg
    20200209_163408.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 30
The stand is on rollers. If it's moved will it still be plumb, or do you have a leveling system?
the wheels all have locks but I am toying with the idea of adding some sort of drop down feet. I will have to see if it is a problem once it get further along. I can always add em. it is sitting pretty much where it will be. I just need it to be on wheels so I can keep the area clean around the machine. It sits right next to a roll up door and so far by doing frequent clean ups with the air gun on my compressor I have been avoiding any serious problem with sawdust and my allergies.

Probably will depend on how level your floor is there. At first I thought you had plywood on the back to help with racking, but doesn't look like any is attached yet. I've not worked with extrusions that long, so I'm not sure how well they will resist the racking. I think either some cross bracing or plywood would stabilize it, but like you said, until you have it up and going, won't know.

I do think the foot levelers will be a good solution. Of course you could mark the concrete where it always sets and do your best to get it back to the exact spot when using it again may suffice. ;)

Probably will depend on how level your floor is there. At first I thought you had plywood on the back to help with racking, but doesn't look like any is attached yet. I've not worked with extrusions that long, so I'm not sure how well they will resist the racking. I think either some cross bracing or plywood would stabilize it, but like you said, until you have it up and going, won't know.

I do think the foot levelers will be a good solution. Of course you could mark the concrete where it always sets and do your best to get it back to the exact spot when using it again may suffice. ;)
There will be another horizontal piece going from side to side (a wall) behind the shelf, that will be where I will mount the plate for my electronics so that should stiffen it up...right now I need to assemble the machine to see what parts are missing right now I can see I am missing 3 of the end stop plates (red L shaped plates) with rubber bumpers for the X and Y axis. Once I get it assembled I will know what else is missing from the mechanical stuff.

Attachments

• 20200210_103828.jpg
    20200210_103828.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 20200210_103839.jpg
    20200210_103839.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 18
Well since the new water softener won't be here until tomorrow. I was able to convince LOML that there was no sense starting on the Tile until the new water softener was in so I was able to steal some shop time. I was able to put the bones together, it is still missing some parts and I did have to go the the hardware store to get some missing M 8 and M 6 bolts. I still need a few more. I have an E mail in to Avid CNC router parts to try to get a copy of the manual so I can see what else I may be missing and to make sure I am adjusting everything properly. It looks like the bones are all there so that is encouraging. everything moves freely and I was able to move the Z axis up and down with my battery powered drill.

Attachments

• 20200211_160240.jpg
    20200211_160240.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I am waiting on parts and the weather was wet today so since outdoor activities are out of the question, I decided I'd spend the day squaring up and trueing up the machine. once I got the frame square I wanted to check the run out in the table prior to installing the top. I had an old dial indicator with a magnetic base left over from when I used to work in the machine tool business so I decided to see if I could make it useful for the CNC. Since this machine is aluminum for the most part the magnetic base is useless. I made up a bracket that fits on the Z axis and hold the dial indicator. I figure I can keep it use it for doing setup later.
20200222_162433.jpg 20200222_142910.jpg

the total runout from side to side was .020" in 48 inches (x direction)
20200222_142924.jpg
Once the top was installed and shimmed

20200222_143733.jpg
.002 in 26 inches front to back (Y direction)
I know this may be carrying things a little far but it should make life easier down stream.

There is a problem in the Z axis and I am going to have to do a little research
20200222_154704.jpg

The gantry is square with the table
20200222_155808.jpg

So it has to be some adjustment in the Z axis assembly..

20200222_155835.jpg

its out 8 mm in 12 inches. I can't find any adjustment but I'll just keep on looking. I have 2 emails out to CNC router parts maybe I'll call em on Monday.

Last edited:
well I did some research on the CNC router parts web site and the only thing I was able to find was an older print of the machine parts. Turns out since Carol bought this machine it has undergone at least 4 design changes and that would explain why I can't get a good manual online. I'll call em in the morning and see if they will send me a PDF of the old system. I went out and looked over the assembly and discovered some adjustments on the back of the carriage assembly that I could use and after about an hour or so of fiddling and I was able to get the thing square.... So at least that is another hurdle out of the way.

20200223_154428.jpg

Last edited:
Brown arrived and brought me another piece of the puzzle. A little history, originally I offered Darren the 4 HP water cooled spindle that came with the other CNC pieces since at that time I didn't want to hassle with 220 Volts on the machine nor setting up a water cooling system. Darren had second thoughts when he found out that the motor weighed in at a hefty 20+ kilos. After some deliberation I decided to use it when I came up with a simple solution for the water cooling part. A week ago Darren PMed me and said that he had ordered the bracket for the 100 mm diameter motor before he changed his mind and said if I could use it he would send it on. I gladly accepted his offer. He sent me a link with the dimensions on it so I proceeded to do a design for an adapter based on my Z axis base.

s-l640.jpg

So I fired up sketchup and came up with this.

spindle bracket.jpg
the two adapters are made from some 1/2" x 1 " alum. I happen to have on hand. The inner screws are counter sunk to fit on the extrusion and then I will simply bolt the casting to the two adapters.

20200224_163616.jpg
This is as far as I have gotten, just need to drill and counter sink the adaptors.
20200224_163449.jpg

Glad to see you got it, looks like a good plan for attaching it.

BTW, with all the corona virus stuff going on, I've noticed prices of stuff coming from overseas has started going up. The original listing showed the price almost triple what it had been when I ordered it. A coworker that had to re-order some bearings had noticed the same thing when he went to re-order.

BTW, with all the corona virus stuff going on, I've noticed prices of stuff coming from overseas has started going up. The original listing showed the price almost triple what it had been when I ordered it. A coworker that had to re-order some bearings had noticed the same thing when he went to re-order.
Also delivery times are going up also. I am waiting on a few items. I plan to fumigate them when they do get here...;)