New CNC build.

the nice thing about being retired is you got time to do stuff when you want to...lol. I got the brackets drilled and test fit. I need to pick up some longer bolts the longest ones I have are inch and a half and I need them about another 1/4 to 1/2 inch to properly secure the brackets. When I am out tomorrow i'll pick them up then I can put the spindle motor in the bracket. this is a test fit and it looks like it'll get the job done.

20200225_164254.jpg

Last edited:
it needs to be. that motor is a beast. good thing the whole machine is beefy. It will be interesting when I get the spindle in place to see with that additional weight hanging on the gantry if it stays true....

True, That much weight might twist things a big. Still, Going to be a cool machine!

I like that you put the motor mount centered between the roller supports. Mine was built with the motor support lower than the lower support. It's still strong but I see it as a weak link. Some day, I will beef it up.

Don, you WILL like that spindle. I can get somewhat reasonable torque at as low as 5,000 RPM. That certainly comes in handy.

Finished installing the spindle motor today. I needed some longer bolts to attach the bracket to the base. I then installed the motors and checked the alignment seems to be just fine the extrusions are handling the added weight without any problems.
20200227_145119.jpg
It looks like I will have a little over 7" of usable depth. The specs from CNC said 8" without the spoil board so i guess I am right where it is supposed to be. I have no idea why I would need anymore than 7".
20200227_145313.jpg
I next looked at the overall machine and decided that the VFD should go on the front of the machine rather than tucked away inside the electrical cabinet so I am planning on putting it front left just below the work table.
cnc Rev 1.jpg
This led me do starting to figure out how much and what size cable I will need for the spindle motor and how long they will need to be :unsure: , which lead me to trying to figure out how each long the axis motor cable will need to be :unsure:,which led me to trying to figure out cable management :unsure:which led me to designing a coupla cable trays which :unsure:..... started to give me a head ache ..:oops:...so I decided to quit for the day and go enjoy and adult beverage.;)(y)

I worked on cable management, I needed to figure out how I was going to run the cables so I could decide the lengths for all of them I made a couple cable trays and mounted them on the machine and mounted the spindle controls then I too a piece of 16/3 shielded cable and used it to wire up the spindle. This way I get a fairly accurate length. I simulated where the wire would run. Now I have an accurate picture of how much wire I need and also the lengths for the cable chain so I can get all of it on order. Since I had the spindle mounted and wired up to the controller I ran a 220 extension cord to the spindle controller, printed out the manual set up the basic parameters and ran the spindle. I must say that is is absolutely the quietest router, I actually didn't hear it running at first. It is scary quite.

Attachments

• 20200301_140030.jpg
    20200301_140030.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200301_140043.jpg
    20200301_140043.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200301_135858.jpg
    20200301_135858.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 20
They are shockingly quiet. I need to find a quieter shop vac, because that's the loudest thing when I'm running mine.

The router is not only quiet, but it has some amazing torque. Just wait till you start cutting something. I have cut thru the steel frame of my machine base - on purpose. I have cut aluminum and brass as well. YES, it is a nice spindle. Glad you decided to keep it.

I placed the order for the Stepper/Controller/Power supplies. Now waiting for the shipping information, I decided to use Nema 34 motors on all axis, it didn't make much sense to use a Nema 23 motor on the Z it was just as easy to make em all identical and the price difference was insignificant. Might be over kill on the Z but makes ordering simpler. I just need to get a little bigger coupling half for the motor, the one that came with the kit is for a Nema 23. The mounting bracket will take either motor. While I am waiting for the steppers and stuff I can get busy getting cables and a 24 volt power supply together. Getting closer to being a real machine. I also need to order the pump and radiator for the spindle cooling. And limit switches and the list never ends.

Last edited:
since I am sorta a loose ends waiting for the motors and stepper drives I spent some time playing with the spindle drive and it is easy to see why Leo is so pleased with this thing. I was setting in some operating parameters and playing with some of the display functions and found two very useful tools, One is I can set it to show me the motors speed in RPMs
20200303_154332.jpg
20200303_154302.jpg
and the other show me the amount of output current the motor is drawing.

20200303_154517.jpg
I set the control for a min speed of 3600 RPM and a max of 24000.
The motors is drawing 4.1 amps at no load so when I start making chips I will be able to monitor the load ..... ;)
Tomorrow I'l go out and do some shopping, motors aren't due for another coupla weeks.

According to UPS the rest of the parts (Motors, steppers and power supplies will be delivered Friday March 13. So after I decontaminate them with Lisole (Their coming from S. Korea) I plan on starting the panel wiring over the week end. I did manage to get the monitor mounted and the computer put in place on the machine. Right now I am just using an old WIN 7 laptop but I may just put in a win 10 box since I am using a separate monitor and key board. For now I will run it on Mach 3 trial version and will go ahead with the license. I may still put in a stand alone controller but for now i am going with the flow and using Mach 3.
20200310_111140.jpg
Not thrilled with the location but it does get it out of the way and keeps the whole thing mobile since it is mounted on the machine. The rest of the week I'll build a slide out keyboard tray under the table and pick up parts (Wire, terminals power 24 volt power supply) so I can have what I need on hand when UPS arrives.

Last edited:
I matched as close as possible the package that CNC router parts sells

So what steppers?
20200312_141129.jpg
4.5 n.m. or 637 oz.in. It goes through a 3.2:1 reduction in the gearing. so the torgue delivered to the table will be over 2000 oz.in.

power supply voltage?
20200312_141121.jpg
the 60 Volts is needed to give the 1000 inches per minute.

driver models?
20200312_141115.jpg
the controllers are what are recommended by the manufacturer.