New Cornbread Pan

This is at my local grocery.

View attachment 106045

$6.79 CDN is about $5.10 for you. You got that pan for less than $5 ?

That's a much better price than I found here. At my local Sprouts market it was over $20 for a small bottle. They are a "natural" food market. They have good prices on fruits and vegetables, but a lot of their other stuff is overpriced. The regular markets like Albertson's or Smith's didn't even carry flax seed oil (or at least I wasn't able to find any).

Bill, that recipe looks interesting. It is the first one i’ve Seen without any wheat floor. An internet search of recipes showed that all had some wheat floor, most had equal cornmeal and flour, some had as low as 25% wheat flour.
I’m the only one in my family that likes cornmeal, so i’ll Probably just make a half batch.

That's a much better price than I found here. At my local Sprouts market it was over $20 for a small bottle. They are a "natural" food market. They have good prices on fruits and vegetables, but a lot of their other stuff is overpriced. The regular markets like Albertson's or Smith's didn't even carry flax seed oil (or at least I wasn't able to find any).
About the same size bottle on Amazon for $9...Jarrow Formulas Fresh Pressed Flaxseed Oil, Source of Vegetarian Omega-3, Organic, 8 Fluid Ounce https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I4DNYS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_taa_gyYICbJXA04R0

Or check walmart, may have to order it to the store for pickup, but even cheaper there.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Yeah but imagine what a cast iron in that size would weight, especially one of those new Lodge monstrosities :rofl:

I was referring to the 'light' color of Brent's pans. Thus the black & white plate for comparison. That crepe pan is a 10" DeBuyer, 1/8" stamped plate I think. A spun steel pan could be half the weight.

I was referring to the 'light' color of Brent's pans. Thus the black & white plate for comparison. That crepe pan is a 10" DeBuyer, 1/8" stamped plate I think. A spun steel pan could be half the weight.

Yeah, Mine could use some more seasoning. The person I got them from didn't use them much because he didn't want to use them on his glass top range. Heck, That's what I use them on.

They are very thick steel, .32" thick and fairly heavy, but nowhere near as heavy as cast iron.

I really like them and am just counting on them gaining more seasoning as I use them. They definitely follow the saying 'Hot pan, cold oil, food wont stick'.

I use the small one every morning for my eggs and they slide right out.

Ah fair enough. Those are reportedly super nice pans, although not the lightest (weight wise) I think that's a reasonable trade off for a crepe pan. You do have a lovely looking finish on it :thumb:

I would caution that not all flaxseed oil is entirely equal in regards to polymerization. The best appears to be be cold pressed with no solvent extraction and no added antioxidants - usually "vitamin E oil" (which also causes it to go rancid somewhat quickly - refrigerate.. and if its a bit on the rancid side it still works great for pan coating - even perhaps better than fresh). How much this matters in the context of many layers of high temperature application.. I'm not sure. I suspect it means that the other "lesser" polymerizing oils I mentioned earlier may well work comparably for all practical purposes compared to the oil of unknown sources.