new drum sander, and the fate of the old one....

Dan Noren

Staff member
the new drum sander arrived yesterday, and we wasted no time in dealing with the old one, and setting up the new one. it showed up in a nice little plywood box, and the driver was nice enough to drop the box in the garage. after that, pop set to work scrapping out the old one. i guess he needed something more fun to do than play solitaire, cleaning the house, and getting ready to mow the lawn. no time was wasted, and he wound up with 4-6 lbs of aluminum, and a bit more of steel. then the new one was uncrated, and lifted in stages (at almost 130 lbs, it was a bit heavy), to it's new home (remembering to set the brakes, so we wouldn't have to chase the bench down the driveway). after a bit of testing, it is all ready to be used.
00001764.JPG00001766.JPG00001767.JPG00001769.JPG00001772.JPG

Exciting! I think I would love to have a drum sander, but no room and no money..... the old story. I be interested in knowing if you can run that without the brace thing on the outside end do there would be the possibility of running wider boards through it.

the old one was a pain to replace the sand paper on. i ruined more than i was able to replace. then the conveyor system went out of sorts, so i stopped using it, and started saving up for a suitable replacement.

Congrats. Paper changes and feed belt tracking certainly drove my drum sander decision. Good to hear of other choices that do this well. Enjoy the new machine.

I'm pretty sure the answer to my question about being able to sand wider boards is no. After reading the description on the Grizzly site it says boards up to 9 1/2". If you could do wider I think it would state that. Most drum sander do.