New floor for my daughters kitchen and dining room

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
My daughter bought a house from the 60's that had at least 3 layers of tile and laminate in the kitchen and dining room. Not wanting to mess with any asbestos tile that may have been in one of those layers, I opted to cover it with laminate. The last layer was a self adhesive 12" x 12" tile from the 90's, but it was peeling up badly in the walkways and where chairs had scooted back and forth on them.

First order of business was removing some 70's decorative poles between the kitchen and dining room (sorry didn't get before pic of the whole space, but did have one of the grandson climbing them). Turns out they weren't attached into the ceiling or floor at all, just wedged in place, so kinda glad it didn't come down on him at any point. :rolleyes:
2018-08-27 18.26.22.jpg

The new laminate pieces were about 16" wide, so made quick work of installation. As always you really have to test the method of install to see how they go in best. In this case it was best to connect an entire row then drop them in all at once, It really took some heavy blows with the hammer to get them to click other wise. I did get to use the new track saw a lot, which worked great, but the blade is now toast and it had a hard time cutting the bottom of the pine basement door off in the end. :) Also made good use of the cordless jigsaw and nailer I picked up this week.
2019-01-26 14.32.54.jpg

Can see a little of the old floor in this pic. Unfortunately There is about a 5/8" step up from the living room now, so going to install a pretty good tapered threshold there to make the transition.
2019-01-26 14.33.04.jpg

Need to go back and shoot some shoe moulding down around it all, but I think it turned out really well, also matched her back splash tiles quite well.
2019-01-26 16.51.11.jpg 2019-01-26 16.51.24.jpg 2019-01-26 16.51.34.jpg

Last edited:
Quite the upgrade. That came out great. I wonder how folks get by who don't have a handy member or two in the family somewhere?