New Guitar & Gun Workbench

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure if this deserves to be in the Shop Tours subforum, but here it is anyway. I've been using a 2' x 4' folding table in one of the spare bedrooms to work on guitars (and occasionally) guns. I was tired of not having any tool storage in that room, and always having to clear off a space on the table to do any work on it. As I mentioned in the Friday thread this week, I picked up a small steel and MDF workbench at Harbor Freight a couple of days ago. I got it mostly assembled Friday night, and then finished it up (for now) on Saturday. Between the pegboard and the two drawers under the bench, this little 2' x 4' bench fits the ticket, for a price that's less than the materials would have cost to build a wood one from scratch. I've very impressed with how stable it is. It came completely disassembled in a 4' x 2' x 4" flat pack with hundreds of screws and nuts. All the holes lined up nicely and the assembly took a while, but was pretty easy.

Here's how it looks at the moment. The black Gretsch is in the shop getting new locking tuners and a roller bridge:
Guitar Bench 1 - 800.jpg

And a bit more of a wide angle shot. I'm going to carpet the benchtop or come up with some type of padded surface. For now I've just got a neoprene gun mat under the guitar where the body rests on the bench:
Guitar Bench 2 - 800.jpg

I need to add some foam pipe insulation along the bottom edge of the top shelf. I've already hit my head on the sharp corner. (Kneeling on the ground tightening screws on the bench, and I stood up full force into that corner.) It still smarts pretty good:
Headbutt 600.jpg

I can't really get a good face-on photo of the workbench because this is right behind me when I'm standing at the bench working:
Guitar Shelf 1024.jpg

As you can see, I have a lot more de-cluttering and organizing to do in the room, but the workbench is a good start. Definitely a case of 10 pounds of stuff in a 5-pound box. Those are the guitars and other gear I don't use on a regular basis. The guitars I gig with, as well as all my PA and other gear are in one of two living rooms in the house (the "music room"). I'm fortunate to have a wife who doesn't mind that I commandeered a whole living room for that purpose, lol.

Last edited:
Between the pegboard and the two drawers under the bench, this little 2' x 4' bench fits the ticket, for a price that's less than the materials would have cost to build a wood one from scratch.

Yep, sadly that often seems to be the case. It is a discouragement to us that like to do things for ourselves. But, being nice to the pocketbook takes precedence. BTW, nice bench, watch yer noggin.

I never realized how much hair helped pad ones head, until Mine got real thin,,, also. Ah, not saying that you are getting thin.
My head was so full of scabs last time I went to my PC doctor, he said it was time to start checking for skin cancer... He loves to , run and get his little black bottle of something and squirt what he thinks may be starting of skin cancer... Especially if it is on my nose...

I never realized how much hair helped pad ones head, until Mine got real thin,,, also. Ah, not saying that you are getting thin.
My head was so full of scabs last time I went to my PC doctor, he said it was time to start checking for skin cancer... He loves to , run and get his little black bottle of something and squirt what he thinks may be starting of skin cancer... Especially if it is on my nose...
Trust me, my hair's getting thin, too. :yes: And I also get the little squirts of liquid nitrogen on my scalp and elsewhere once or twice a year...my doc calls them 'pre-cancerous lesions'.